Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kitschiguy, May 27, 2009.

1. kitschiguy

kitschiguy New Member

Hi,

I'm totally new here and to IT. I joined to try and get more of an idea of what courses I should do.

I'm thinking about A+ and MCDST and was thinking about doing it with computeach. So far I have been impressed with them, it's fairly pricey (£1600) for access to all the online study materials incl. tutor support for 1 year but I have read some bad reviews about them. To be fair it sounded like the people complaining just wanted a refund for whatever reason - I'm not really sure.

Anyway, that's the plan. It's nice to be here as there seems to be lots of advice from people who are certified. All and any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hiya Matt. I'm not knocking Computeach because I haven't trained with them but did you know you can self study by buying a book or 2 for less than £40 then book your own exams with a company called Prometric?

I've self studied and passed 2 Microsoft exams with the CompTIA Security+ next week and its cost me buttons.

Cheers

Jim

PS Welcome to Cert Forums

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

What Jim said :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. kitschiguy

kitschiguy New Member

Jim and Ken,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've put the Computeach on the back-burner for now and will try the self-study route. I've heard too many negative remarks about training companies to risk spending that kind of money.

I was wondering if you know which is the most up-to-date study guide to the A+? I found the A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide (6th Edition) by Mike Meyers on Amazon for around £20. It comes highly recommended.

Sorry if I'm repeating already answered questions - I figured I would ask while I'm thanking people for their help.

Thanks again!

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. kitschiguy

kitschiguy New Member

Notes_Bloke, MrNerdy,

Thanks!

:)

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

IF you take a look in the A+ forum, there should be a thread outlining various resources you can use. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685