Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Dave, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi all,

My name is Dave and I've just recently joined the forum.

I have worked for some 13 years as a manager in the Digital Print industry and, after being made redundant twice last year, have decided to finally stop harping on about it and pursue a career within the IT industry.

My background is originally in Electronic Engineering, it's a very long and rather boring story of how I ended up in the Print industry. When studying for my HND in Electronic Engineering some 16'ish years ago we brushed upon IT (albeit 486's & DX2's) and I found that I had a genuine interest but never pursued it. With the events of last year, and my lady getting tired of me going on about it, I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

I signed up for the CompTIA A+ in February this year and I'm glad to say, passed both exams with flying colours (A+ Certified IT Technician). With that under my belt I started my MCSE course yesterday evening and, along with the 7 books (which resemble telephone directories in thickness), have started down what I presume to be a very lengthy road to Microsoft Certification.

Well, just a quick few lines to introduce myself to everyone and any advice that anyone can throw my way about my chosen path would be greatly appreciated, as I have zero commercial experience within the IT industry to date :eek:

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, glad you joined :)

To be honest I would have recommended strongly to forget about the MCSE until you gain some real world experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF..!

I have to agree with Ken, you really need to get your foot on the IT ladder and get some experience before starting out on the MCSE track. Perhaps the Network+ or MCDST would be a better idea?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

And to add weight to the arguments of the two fine gentlemen before me, did you know that if you turned up for an interview with an MCSE, or CCNA etc without having prior experience you run the risk of being labbelled a paper MCSE, which basically means you've passed the tests but haven't learned how to problem solve on the job. Although it sounds mad, MCDST would put you in a better employment situation (purely because of your lack of experience in an Administrator role) than having an MCSE. Once you land your first role you only need 6 months experience to back you up then you can go for your MCSA. Just my opinion of course but best of luck, IT is a great industry to work in. Cheers James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs