hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kitbpayne, Jan 9, 2009.

1. kitbpayne

kitbpayne New Member

just writing to say hello to everyone and to tell whoever is interested why im here. i used to work for my dad but unfortunately his business went into receivership and therefore i was made redundant. i am currently working nights in a very uninteresting and unsatisfying job. i have 2 young kids so am working to pay the bills and keep a roof over their heads.

thing is i want a career. i was thinking of heading in the directio of networking of some description. i have never worked in the I.T industry allthough i have some self taught knowledge. i was looking at starting of with getting myself the MCDST qualification and starting off there from there i was thinking of progressing to the MCSE.
    i was planning on going down the self teaching route due to financial Restraints.
    just looking for peoples opinions and ideas

also any good book for the mcdst would be useful

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Self-study = good
    MCDST = good
    MCSE with no experience = bad

In truth, I'd recommend that you pursue the A+ and Network+ before pursuing the MCDST. As far as the MCSE is concerned, you should wait until you've got a year of server administration experience before pursuing the MCSE.

Get an entry-level IT job as soon as possible... you don't have to wait on getting certified before starting in your new career! Certification only makes your CV more attractive to employers - it's not a mandatory requirement!

Welcome to the forums. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what BM already said. Don't be too eager to try to get the higher professional IT certifications. Alot of IT managers now disregard the higher level ones if the person experience doesn't reflect it.

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

What they said. :D

Welcome to the CF's.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. kitbpayne

kitbpayne New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

That is what i was planning. To get an IT job and some experience then start studying for the MCSE. I was under the impression the MCDST was relatively easy so i thought i could do that then get a better job and salary than what i have now, plus getting myself on the ladder.

I was also under the impression that the CompTIA qualifications weren't worth a great deal hence why i was looking at the MCDST.