Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Gr44, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Gr44

Gr44 New Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Sean and I've signed up in hope of gaining some useful knowledge to assist me in improving my skills. A little about me first;

I'm 20 years old, currently living at home. I'm from Bedfordshire in the UK and rather luckily managed to land myself an IT job with a bluechip company around 2 and a half years ago. I'm part of a two-man team who look after a large project within the data center and between us we install/decommision servers (physically), network cable keep the databases updated among other various bits and bobs.

I feel I've gained a great deal of knowledge since working there but the realization has hit that I won't have a job there until the end of time and I'm not ever going to get paid great money there, despite my ever increasing responsibilities. Because of this I really want to start learning new skills because I'm hoping with a good previous job on my CV and a reasonable amount of experiance for my age mixed with some well known exams - I can procure a better job.

My primary goal at the moment is trying to find something that 'suits' me. I'm a little unsure what to study. I have a reasonable understanding of CCNA but the exam has recently changed and I've been unable to find the new material they have included in a book form yet. As far as I know the CCNA guides on Amazon are all for the previous revisions of the exam. Don't know if anyone can enlighten me there?

The CCNA aside though, I've also been considering PRINCE2 and MCSE. I realize all three of these are in very differant fields, hence why I'm a little lost on what to do. From a work point of view, what little I know about MCSE appeals to me more than CCNA or PRINCE2. My interest is now limited in these areas though, and value recomendations no matter where they may point.

Basically, I'd be very grateful if you could provide some advice on what exams to look at and an idea what is invovled and the skill required to complete them. I'm not stupid but will admit to currently having very few academic qualifications. I'm very competent around Windows ( from 3.1 upto XP, spent some time with Vista ) and yes, I do remember the days of DOS, as relevent as that mostly is now. I also have a fair grasp on networking/sub-netting/DHCP.

Would be very grateful for some good advice from all of you!

Thanks,

Sean

2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello sean and Welcome to CF:biggrin

As for what to study, well most peopl ehere start at the bottom and work their way up the Certs ladder. By that I mean studying A+ which will give a good foundation in computers before going onto networking.

For Comptia A+ click here

However if you feel you still want to go the CCNA route then have a look at the section of CCNA on CF.

Good luck!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!