Hello-didley

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Greendan, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Greendan

Greendan New Member

Hi All,

New User here. Been reading the forums for a couple of days so thought I'd say hi.

Hi.

I'm one of those 'aiming for a career in IT types'. My current experience in professional IT is low. Erm...none.

My current plan is to aim to do a degree (possibly Computing with Psychological Studies) with the OU, maybe get a foot in the door of a company on help desk suppport (I have plenty of call centre experience - too much!) and then fingers crossed work my way up. I'm more interested in programming than hardware. I've done a bit of 'hobby' programming waaaay back starting on a Spectrum ZX (Yay for BASIC) and a few years later got to VB via QBASIC. I did a little bit of C++.

So, yeah, thats the Plan, I'm Dan. Hello.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but a computing degree and then doing help-desk work, when you want to be a programmer seems slightly odd to me!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Greendan

Greendan New Member

I see where you're coming from! The help desk thing is just a way of getting in the door whilst I'm doing the degree, getting real life experience, then working my way up the career ladder.

4. hbroomhall

That makes sense! And you possibly left out the most important bit about doing a help-desk job - paying the rent! :p

Harry.

5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're interested in programming, learn to program. Entry-level programmers (at least in the US) make a LOT more money than a help desk tech does, and they're currently in demand (again, at least in the US).

That said, there is wisdom in paying the bills while learning how to program. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Greendan

Greendan New Member

Yeah, I read an article on the BBC saying programmers were in demand. This is kinda what got me thinking on an IT career. I did A-Level IT, just at the time the market was getting full of IT people (apparantly) and now it's diminishing again I figured it would be a good time to have a go at getting in.

I'm gonna pick up a JAVA book to get my hand back in. Anyone know of any certifications in programming? I've has a look around and seem to only be able to find the Sun ones?

9. hbroomhall

For Java the Sun certs are the right ones.

However - in general in the programming world nobody pays much attention to certs. They focus, in interviews, on whether you can do the job, and your experience.

Harry.

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Greendan

Greendan New Member

Oh dear...:dry

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You could do a lot worse than get a degree and the SCJP, having said that I concentrated on learning C++ inside out for 6 years, I didn't get any certs, (for a start there weren't any) and it didn't do my career any harm.

It really depends what you want to do, theres plenty of demand for GOOD developers, but maintaining a career as a programmer is a 24/7 job. You will be expected to know MANY subjects inside out.

Theres a lot of demand for various other lanuages too, so you might want to keep an eye on the future and the market when you choose.

Eventually you will probably need to know quite a few languages, but to start with i'd limit it to the minimum until you grasp the basics.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Breaking in is the hardest part, mate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!