Hello CF

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mark-K, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

Hello, just thought that I should make a post thanking everyone here for all the advice I've read.

I've been addicted to online games for the past 8 years (Various FPS's/D2/WC3/WoW) and making clan/guild websites for them for just as long. Starting from simple geocities all the way up to learning some pretty advanced PHP ones that interact with the games.

This year I wanted to make a change, so I went to a careers advice centre, told them I was looking for an IT careeer and they recommended me to take an ECDL course. Which I finished in 3 days :biggrin and they then recommended that I should take out a CDL to pay for an MSCE course. Thats how I came accross these forums, googling around I found this thread.

Shortly after I ended up buying Mike Meyers AIO A+ and Street Smarts as recommended by half the people on the forums. I've read through MM's AIO twice now, made notes and memorised speeds, lengths, addresses etc... of most of the stuff now. I'm scoring about 85% on the practice exams, so I'm thinking of booking the course for the end of the month.

Next week I should be starting a volunteering job at a local ICT Workshop, which should give me some good experience for my CV, since it's pretty bare - I've had no real jobs yet.

Anyway, the point of this post. Where next? I was thinking of a DBA career, I really enjoyed the SQL part of programming, but I'm guessing its hard to get into and needs lots of experience. So should I take the Network+ next and work towards an MCSA or go streight for a DBA cert (I havn't really looked into this yet, been studying my ass off for the last 4 weeks).

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP
    WIP: JNCIE
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

I know what you mean about games and their addicitiveness... I was a Guild Wars junkie from when it came out... racked up too many hours on it TBH. Managed to wean myslef off it gradually, and I suppsoe the fact it became a bit boring doing the same thing night in, night out helped...

85% sounds like you should do well with the A+ exams, provided you're not taking the same questions again and again...

And I vote for Net+ next, as it gives you a good baseline for moving onwards and upwards, whatever you intend to do later on.

As regards MS and beyond, I am sure others more experienced can give you more advice...

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you are getting 85% on tests surely there is no need to book the course? Just book the exam. Or was that a typo? :biggrin

Getting Network+ will be useful - a large number of big databases are accessed via a network - so knowing the fundamentals will help.

As for experience with databases - don't forget that Oracle (personal edition), MySQL and PostgreSQL are all available for free download (among others).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Welcome to CF:biggrin

I must say I was quite impressed with what you wrote in your first post. Sounds like you've done a lot in a short space of time!:thumbleft

I agree with harry, although network is probably not your next step, it is useful to have.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Since you were a D2 fan, I'd suggest Titan Quest (with the Immortal Throne expansion). 8)

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Mark-K

Mark-K Bit Poster

:twisted:

Certifications: CCNA, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP
    WIP: JNCIE