Hello and where to start.....

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Percula, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

Hi

Been lurking for a while and have found the site very, very useful. Rare to find an internet forum where the users aren't more concerned with flaming than having constructive dialogue. Congrats!

Anyway, am looking for a career change. 29, single and living in Surrey near Gatwick. Which is nice.

Currently employed (> 5yrs) in a small (12 people) manufacturing and service company. Commercial Manager, Project Manager or that SOB depending on the day of the week. Essentially #2 to the MD. Responsible for running the production facility, purchasing, design work, r&d, network administrator, tea and coffee..... Nicelyish paid, but low on the satisfaction I’m looking for.

Have been away from any formal education since leaving school with 3 A-levels. Everything I know since then is life experience and stuff I've picked up / self taught along the way.

IT experience is self taught, nothing formal. I've a good 'business' grounding and I'm now looking for something that can take me forwards and offer new opportunities. I've long been interested in computers, indeed probably a lost opportunity. Everyone always used to say to me when I was a kid that I'd end up in computers and make loads of money. Trouble was at 15 I got a weekend job and just continued in that industry down the road to the job I'm at now…..

I've some experience in that I use a computer all day, I've built a wi-fi set-up at home (so I could check email on my Clie rather than switching the computer on), and most important also built and hard/software 'support' our office wired network and broadband connection. That is to say that they shout for me when something goes wrong and I have to figure it out.... ! We’ve got 10 pc’s hooked up for file/printer sharing and web access. We also work with Remote Desktop on-line through a 2003 Server at our parent company in the US. I ‘administer’ our UK network as an extra job task, keep it updated etc. By no means any kind of expert, but I enjoy what I do in that area....

I've looked at the options and have MCSE Security as a target, but I'm undecided where to start. I've been away from any kind of formal study for so long I'm concerned that I won't be able to get into it. I’ve looked at the full course distance learners and don't want to shell out the £5k and find out I can't get into the studying per se. So, I'm looking for a useful course that I can sign up to make sure I can get into ‘it’.

I'm quite sure that the self study route will be the best one in the end. It seems like all the distance learning courses are self study anyway; they just send you the books etc!

So recommendations on a course to start off with that will be of use? I'd plotted the suggested route MCDST, MCSA, MCSE so something to try before that?

The ECDL or IC3 seem a bit simple from what I’ve seen. I've been recommended the Open University T175 Networked Living course. An OU course might prove I can learn or not! Any other suggestions??

Anyway, thanks for your time, your help and the chance to chat!

Cheers!

Certifications: None!
  2. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF. I am sure you will like it here.

You are much less of a beginner than I but it seems like the best way would be to gain certifications to 'prove' what you know and then maybe some more to build on that.

A+ and N+ are the main starter qualifications, and from the sounds of it, you will probably sail through them more quickly than others owing to your experience already. With these qualifications you will build your knowledge base from the bottom up and probably fill in a few tasty gaps along the way. Then when you continue on to the MCSA/MCSE you will have a firm foundation upon which to build.

If these options sound cool venture over to the A+ and N+ sections of the forum and check out what books to check out and use and various other tips on how to tackle the courses.

Good luck with your chosen course of action and enjoy your time here.

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+
  3. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Hello there. Ive never been the first one to say hello to someone before. :D

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  4. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Boo someone beat me to it. :oops:

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  5. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Aww shucks. :oops: Sorry mate.

Certifications: None :(
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Welcome to CF, glad you found us. :)

You already have useful IT experience, well done! I would suggest you buy Mike Myers All in One A+ book. Even if you want to plough straight on with MCSA/E it will be a good grounding for you even if you don't want to take the two exams.

Best of luck, hope you stay around. :iluvcf

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ha that made me laugh :D

Percula, I had seven years experience looking after a network of about 50 computers, including NT Server, two Novel Netware servers and a Unix server. I was told by an IT training companies salesman to forgo the A+ and N+ because he thought it would be beneath me. I soon found out that without that basic grounding I struggled with some of the concepts which were assumed knowledge for the MCSE courses. I wasn't even sure what a port was :oops:

So, in retrospect I wish I had done them first.

You can't go wrong if you start at the beginning, which is the A+

Good luck whatever you decide!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have to second what Pete has said here. When i was studying for A+ i was also learning about computing too.

There are lots of people who are told to go straight in to MCSA/E. In my opinion the average entry level "joe bloggs" can't go wrong with the A+. If they find it straight forward great! :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  10. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

now thats an introduction mate! can't add much to what the guys have said already but have a look around the a+ forums and you might pick up some ideas there. good luck! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

Not much more to add than what has already been said!

:biggrin

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome Percula - hope we can help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity