Hello and so glad I found you

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Elster, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Elster

Elster New Member

I am looking for a bit of advice about getting into IT. I had a guy round last week from Computeach who gave me advice on courses etc, anyway I agreed to sign up but call it fate but when I went to post my enrolment form and payment I noticed the envelope wouldn't seal properly so took it home to selotape it shut and ended up online reading lots of bad reviews about Computeach. I have since done a bit of research and today paid 20 quid for a Mike Meyers A+ book. I would like to know if I am doing the right thing and how long it will take me to get through it and if is adequate enough to get me through the exam ????

2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello & Welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You do not need to go with a training provider like computeach, all they want is your money anyway.

I assume the book was the compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition, if it was then yes thats what you need.

I would also recommend PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles, its a book with practice exercises in it, if you can afford to try to get an old pc you can take apart and put back together again as this will help.

I got both books and an old PC for 80 quid total.

You ask how long it takes, that all depends on how quickly you learn all the information and how compitent you are.

Also be aware, having qualifications in IT donot get you a job, they can only make you look more attractive to prospective employers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

OMG:ohmy Don't sign with CT. I went down the same road as you! It was only through Googling CT that I found this amazing place called CF and it through friendly and helpful advice I found my feet again. It was like the light at the end of the tunnel.

You did the right thing, saying no to CT and buying the A+ book. CF is a pro supporter of self study and if your stuck just post a question or look under the search option. there's loads of advice/tips and people who have or are having the same doubts as your having now!

Good luck with you studies:biggrin

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have yet to take a course at a training provider... I got all my certifications through self-study and on-the-job experience. You can do it too!

How long it takes is entirely up to you, your learning style, your ability to retain information, the amount of time you have to spend on studying, and your past experience with computers. It could take less than an hour... it could take a couple of years. In any case, study until you get a good understanding of the concepts.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Elster

Elster New Member

Cheers for the replies. Can't believe I almost parted with nearly 3 grand before doing any research. That review site was full of dissatisfied Computeach customers. Looking forward to receiving my book and starting studying. Will probably be on here every night. Advice appreciated

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep use the money in January sales :D

Its not only computeach that have dissatisfied customers, they all do.

One thing I say is You cant rip yourself off, training providers can.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Excellent, might be an idea to download the syllabus that way you have and idea what's required and also have a look at this thread about studying to get some idea of much time you should be putting into it!

Exam Objectives

Studying It's a thread/poll by Mr Cheeks like you and me study A+

Also Zimbo's thread on The Guide to Self-Study A classic thread.:biggrin

9. BosonMichael

That's what we're here for. :) Come often!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi mate and welcome to CF.

Yes i think you are doing the right thing by self studying for the A+.

The Mike Meyers book providing you are talking about the A+ 6th edition all in one, will do the job on it's own.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Mike Meyers all the way and also Street Smarts by our resident author, Tripwire45, will get you there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Thanks for the plug, Nug. :wink: Remember though, I'm only *one* of the "resident authors. Michael and Josh are published as well and I have high hopes that Arroryn will join the ranks someday. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. BosonMichael

I'm quite sure of it, based on discussions we've had recently. ;)

15. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

It's amazing how often this is overlooked. I used to study everything under the sun pertaining to a product. Finally I started focusing on just the objectives and it has made my study time that much more efficient. 10 years of taking cert tests and I only just recently figured that out. :cheers

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You've made a good decision. Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA