Hello and info on Scheidegger/SkillsTrain

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Gullible, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Gullible

Gullible New Member

Hello all,
    I found this forum after looking up Scheidegger/SkillsTrain. I signed up for a CIW Website Design Manager course with them yesterday. I have no IT experience apart from ECDL.

After reading through a few of the queries that have been posted here, I would just like to add a couple of thoughts if that's ok :D

I am cancelling on Monday because....

The sales person promised unrealistic earnings potential - £30-£60K without any hint that these figures are achievable but ONLY for experienced/highly qualified/talented designers. Not for a novice who takes a course - no matter how motivated or talented they may be.

It seems to me that the company target and sign up naive people who have no real IT experience or knowledge - I would be interested to hear from any IT professionals who use their courses? - it was only after putting some thought into it that I realised that learning alone, unable to establish contacts within the industry, is probably the worst way to go. The sales bumpf boasts that SkillsTrain are contracted to train NHS and HSBC (amongst others) staff. This seems like an excellent recommendation but is it really relevant for individuals who are looking to break into IT at a high level? After all, the training which they provide for these organisations is ECDL and below - not comparable at all and so a misleading sales pitch.

A final note. After signing the contract, the wannabee high earner has SEVEN days to cancel - not twenty-one, so be quick :eek:

I'd really love to get into IT and am busy looking around for a cheaper and more flexible way to do it.

Certifications: None yet
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome to the forums mate! can't really help you with those specific training providers but i have talked to the nhs with regards to i.t employment and i don't think any one training provider is contracted to train for them!

could be wrong though..... :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Gullible (and aren't we all sometimes) and welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Hope that you stick around.

5. Gullible

Gullible New Member

Thanks for the welcome :D

This forum looks like a great place to visit before deciding on a course :wink:

Certifications: None yet
  6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome Gullible :biggrin

You seem to have a good handle now on how things really are. Beware of smiling strangers bearing gifts (salesman) :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hello To Gullible

I hope that you find the right track to pursue in your quest to break into IT. I hope I'm on the right path, after all, I have been here for 2 years.

Very Best Wishes

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It's a pity that a lot more people don't put more time into doing some research before they sign up.

BTW welcome to the forum.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685