Hello and a question...

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Sofista, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Sofista

Sofista Bit Poster

Hi guys,

My name is Robert, originally I'm from Poland but at the moment I live and work in Wales. I'm new here as you obviously can see. I decided to stop playing and spend more time studying IT and getting certified, I know the road is long but you have to start somewhere right? :oops:

I've been studying for 70-620 exam for a few weeks now and I booked my exam for the 7th of January 2009 (I will have plenty of time to finish my studies and revise during the Christmas period). My old house mate passed the 70-270 exam, he said that he had to register with Microsoft and do a few other things after he passed the exam.

I don't have contact with him so I would like to ask you guys, what do you have to do after passing the exam? How does the registration look like and what are the benefits? Do you have to do something before the exam as well? (I could not find any info if I have to do something before). I would appreciate if you could help me out with some info.

I have another question as well: Do you have to work in an IT company to become CompTIA member? I would like to pass the exam in January-February and as a member I could get discount on the exam. :)

Kind regards

Robert

Certifications: A+, MCTS, MCITP, MCP,
    WIP: Network +, MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When you pass an exam your details are registered with compTIA or Microsoft. You get a certificate and a dodgy badge with some certs.:D

You can be a fully fledged member of compTIA etc by paying them, I am not sure if there are any real benefits. There would be more if you joined the Briish computer society.

You book exams through prometric for Microsoft exams and either prometric or pearson vue for compTIA exams.

You can find the info on their web sites and also your nearest test centres.

You can get discount for compTIA exams from www.gracetechsolutions.com and if you have the MS Press books for Microsft exams there are usually discount vouchers with them. Microsoft also have whats called a second shot voucher where you book a 2nd exam for free incase you fail it the first time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like GBL already said you have to register with Prometric first, in order to take the exam. After you've taken and passed the exam, you'll received an e-mail from Microsoft with instructions in order to register with Microsoft on the MCP site. Once you've completed the registration, you will then have to "Program Benefits" -> "Welcome Kits & Certs", then confirm your address and submit a request (via the button) for your cert.

The cert pack includes: the cert, a card, guidelines for using the logo, but no badge (they've stopped it).

Good luck with the exam :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

With microsoft exams once your have passed one you can create an account sign in HERE which shows things likle your transcript and you also have access to member benefits (dont get too excited though). You can also download your microsoft logo(s) and loads of other stuff that I have never really looked into much.

"Damn you wagnerk" (shakes fist in B movie rage)

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing