Hello all

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by Aravind, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Aravind

Aravind New Member

Hello all,
    I am a newbie to CF :D and i am interested in web developing and also in developing windows applications, but i dont have enough knowledge,,pl suggest me whether i should concentrate on both web and windows or else anyone is enough and recommend me a language to develop these things, and also what application should i use other than visual studio.Also recommend me some materials to develop me further..

Thanx in advance.

2. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a serious programmer by any means - I just use RealBasic when I need to develop apps. As far as web developing goes, you'd be best starting at the bottom I would think: HTML. Build it from there. Move to PHP, CSS for some nice looks, Javascript etc.

In terms of application development, I'd suggest one of the common languages such as C++, Java, maybe Python. They're all very well documented, and I'd wager that you'd find free lessons online to set you on the right path. You'll also find that they're very respectable languages to have in your arsenal, and probably put you in good stead to learn other OO languages (Moreso C++).

I'm waffling though, and I don't even really know, so I'll hand over to the proper guys. Hope some of this helps.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Computer Languages are like tools of the trade to computer programmers. It really depends what you want to build and how you want to build it.

What type of applications are you interested in ? What industries do you want to work in ?

Of course if you are just starting out and are not sure then it doesn't hurt to write a lot of different types of app in different languages.

4. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Some people on the other side of programming might disagree but I think starting with something like Visual Basic is a good idea. The software is free (Visual Web Developer, Vistual Basic Express) and there are lots of tutorial videos out there. Visual Basic is easy to understand and you can get results quickly by doing a bit of drag and drop development.

You can download the software from here
    And some video tutorials are here

There are lots of resources.

To be fair you can get Java Net beans for free and so is PHP, Mysql and other software that is mentioned above and they are cheaper to host if you are doing websites but I am just giving you my preference. VB is much easier on the eye for a beginner I think.

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  5. slen0y

slen0y New Member

I agree with mattstevenson. You can start with HTML/CSS + PHP for web developing. And C then Java or C++. In addition, all those languages are well documented.