Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by loneferret, Feb 18, 2009.

1. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Hello there, figured I'd introduce myself.

Where to start... From Canada/Quebec, so whatever term I use when referencing school will most probably be foreign to most of you. Example, after high-school (it's only 5 years, and it's also called secondary school) we have something called "Cégep". This would probably be grade 12-13 for the rest of Canada/US. A cegep diploma is required to enter university.

So I did a cegep course in computer networking and administration, with some programming sprinkled along the way. Got my Network+, Linux+, i-Net+ and CIW. No major certifications, but school reimbursed any certs you passed while still in class. Kinda regret not doing any MS stuff :(
    Went on to university, but never completed the "English Teaching" course... long story.

I've done tech support for two major ISPs in Montreal (Bell and Videotron), worked as a network admin for a few small to medium size companies. Computer tech for the local computer store in my home town. And like most of you, I was the guy that family/friends/in-laws (neighbor of all of the mentioned) called when they couldn't retrieve their e-mail or double click on the "My Computer" icon.

Did a lot of home networking. Installed various versions of Windows and Linux. Played around with various server applications (Apache,IIS,SQL Server,Samba... you get the idea). For the simple joy of having everything talk and work together.

The down side is, I haven't worked in IT for about 2 years now (maybe a little less). Certain life issues, bad decisions and events made me quit the IT field. Recently I've decided to get back on the horse and return to what I love doing. This means getting up to speed on technology... My solution for this: Certs.

Getting those certifications I didn't have time to study for when I was in school. Right now I'm concentrating on 70-236 (Config. Exchange '07). I've installed Server '03 and '08. Have Exchange installed on both. Have a few virtual machines going on as well using VMware. Using PowerShell as opposed to the GUI (this goes for the AD on DC).

On the non-techno related stuff: have a part-time tattooing apprenticeship for the last 2 years, been actively inking for about 1 year. I'm a moderator for a tattoo forum which I won't mention. Love to write (by now you've noticed), read and draw. Got a 9 month old daughter in perfect health, and I've been with my wife for 5 years now. All is good in my live minus the unemployment issue.

I guess that's about it.
    Hope to get to know some of you, and I hope you won't mind my questions.
    Got a lot of questions to ask... I feel like a dinosaur.

:)

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You're clearly quite a busy man :biggrin

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with the job hunting.

Don't be scared to ask questions either; that's what everyone else with the technical knowledge is here for (ie, not me :oops:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck on the job hunting.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Thanks all...
    Actually surprised 2 people read the whole thing... hehehe
    Anyway, as for the job hunting, going to do that after I pass at least one certification.

5. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

3 now!

Hi and welcome :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  6. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum, glad to know a lot about you ;)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

You've got (more than) one certification NOW. So get out there and apply for jobs while you're studying. If you get another certification before you find your next job, add it to your resume and keep looking.

The reason I say this is because certification is not likely going to be the primary factor that employers look for (and this is coming from someone who creates certification training for a living!). What employers want are people with experience - experience that you have, despite being out of it for a couple of years. Sure, certification can sometimes give you an advantage over your competition, provided experience levels are similar... but you shouldn't let certification delay you from looking NOW. Every day you're out of IT is another day you're not getting that valuable experience that all employers desire.

Again, welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

You are right, but I figure (and correct me if I'm wrong in my reasoning) it's better for me that I be up to date on things (old & new) before actively looking for a job. I wouldn't feel right saying to a potential employer that I wouldn't have any problems maintaining his network when it's been 2 years I haven't even looked at a command line prompt...
    Hope you see my meaning... trying not to be too long winded here.

Thanks for the kind words :)

9. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

You may not get a job tomorrow, but don't let that stop you applying. Start refreshing your knowledge now from books, notes, or practicing in a lab. You may be rusty but you won't have forgotten everything. Besides, what could you not look up or research in a short space of time while doing a job?

If i am unsure how to do something at work i will check it out on technet or the internet or helpful forums. Nobody can know everything. Be confident and get back in before you talk yourself out of it. You will probably know a hell of a lot more than some out there doing the stuff.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  10. BosonMichael

No - it's better for you to jump right in and start looking now. Certifications won't automagically make you qualified to do "up-to-date" things, because you haven't been in the industry to do those "up-to-date" things, and employers will realize that. Thus, there's no real benefit in waiting.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Exactly this. Repped!

12. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Suppose you guys are right... I mean probably nerves or lack-there-of making me question myself...
    Guess it comes down to self-confidence.
    Thanks again, I have to change a diaper now.