Hello all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by deoglover, Feb 10, 2007.

1. deoglover

deoglover New Member

I am a new member and am very happy to join the forum. I am studying towards my MCDST.

DjCool

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. deoglover

deoglover New Member

Can any one who has done this exam(MCDST), advice on what study materials / things to do, to pass my exams the first time?

DjCool

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Firstly, there are *two* exams check this out..

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/requirements.mspx

Secondly, they are not too tough and as long as you get plenty of hands on with XP and Office as well as a good book or two, you should have no problems. There aren't any shortcuts to getting qualified, you have to learn the material that is covered in the topics of each exam.

See here for the topics covered in 70-271..

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx

You can find the relevant info for the other exam in the same area of Microsoft's site.
    Pete

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I generally recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex books for Microsoft exams. Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. s0methingwkd

s0methingwkd Bit Poster

There is no sure shot technique of passing exams - it comes from a combination of things really.

Can I ask how you are studying... theres another guy in this forum who is also doing the MCDST, my suggestion was that even if you have the experience of working in Support you still need to do some study, because the exams more often than not reflect things you never use in actual environments, or methods which you would have done in another way.

Id suggest if you wantto pass first time round perhaps you might wantto consider joining a course - an exam foccussed course, and also reading through atleast one MCDST book start to finish and doing appropriate preparation tests, whther its brain dumps or otherwise - not to cram them but to understand each one of the concepts that you maybe tested on.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Good luck with the MCDST! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, good luck with your studies.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

I would suggest that you stay well clear of braindumps. Its as good as cheating and de-values the hard work that others put into passing the exams the proper way.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome, welcome.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. s0methingwkd

s0methingwkd Bit Poster

Braindumps - I think people use them in the wrong way - people tend to use them to cram the answers and I dont think that is how they should be used. I think they are a valuable tool just like in high school you would go through past papers...

But I think the candidate should use the braindumps to reflect on what he has learnt and how it can be applied in a test environment. It is not to cheat - unless you make it so.... it is to understand and review the concepts that you may think you are weak at.

Thats my opinion anyway

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry to say but there is no right way to use braindumps. Braindumps are a bad thing plain and simple.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I was going to write a long and thoughtful post on this, but I decided to sum it up thus:

You tit.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That's what I like about Baba - No messing with fancy words, just straight to the point :biggrin

Excellent Mate:thumbleft :clap

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

ffs! There isn’t a right way to use them. There is no such thing as a ‘past paper’ for certs as the same questions may be used year after year in the real exam and also appear in a braindump. Therefore you have the answers to the exam which makes you a cheat.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Please read our policy on braindumps - we are a braindump free community!

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Braindumps are stolen questions that are EXACTLY what you'll see on the live exam. Using them is no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk. How is that NOT cheating? There is NO justifiable reason for using them. They allow people to pass the exam who are otherwise not ready to pass the exam. And, per Microsoft, Cisco, and other exam vendors, if you're caught using them, you can be decertified, in some instances, permanently. So, you say you're OK with using something that the exam vendors themselves prohibit us from using? Care if we pass that information along to them?

Not to mention... advocating braindumps can get you banned from legitimate forums such as this one. :dry :banned

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for truth!

The person to whom your reply was addressed is treading on very thin ice, which is melting as I type.

:twisted:

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

How do they get hold of this information?

I mean is someone in Comptia or MS selling the exam questions to BD's companies?

Doesn't the exam paper change every month?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+