Hello all!! So how should I get my MCSE??

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Fresh_Mint, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

Hello everyone,

I found this site today and I hope you the community on here and the posts that I will find will help me to achieve my goals of gaining a MSCE certification.

I'm 28 now and have been working in IT since I left University at 20. I have a HND in computing but no certifications, and this appears to now be the brick wall blocking my way. The fact that I've done the job of a desktop support person, Network Administrator, Webmaster and now Business Analyst doesn't appear to be enough to move up the wage scale and get the jobs I want. So I've decided to do something about it. None of my previous employers took an interest in training and my current one isn't interested in this line of training so it's up to me.

I've rulled out self study at this point. I'm terrible at learning from a book, much better with interactive sessions and tutor support as I've picked up too many bad habits along the way and find it difficult to progress without discussing things through with a tutor. So I'm out to find a decent distant learning program now I have the working capital to make it happen. Everyone learns if a different way and I'm best when it's verbally explained.

So I've looked at Computeach and Advent so far. NITLC I've just put an enquiry forward. Has anyone used any of these recently as most of the post I've read stem from 2004 and that's a fair while ago now? Anyone any advice on my option or even to talk me out of handing over my cash?

Thanks in advance for any advice!! :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSE
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

As for a decent training provider I have not heard of one yet, BTW computeach is a no no as far as I am aware.

You could still self study, you can get video training tutorials from preplogic there are video blogs on youtube so in effect you could still do it on your own but I think you would still need to invest in books and a training provider isn't all on screen stuff you'll get books from them too.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you go with a training provider you will still be reading a book most of the time. You can back this up with some lab work, either get a few servers off eBay (you can get an old Dell server for £50) or install virtual server and then starting making\breaking networks! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

That's for the advice guys. I'm going to go back to the books for now and try that route again. Got a spare PC up in the loft so that's coming down this weekend.

So next question, can anyone recommend any good reading material for MCSE certification? I've got the Microsoft press book for the Win XP component (not doing Vista as I think that's going to be a dead duck for business). What books have people read for this and the other parts of the MCSE???

Thanks in Advance!

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft Press and Sybex are usually the way to go. :)

Don't completely discount Vista certification... some companies ARE using Vista, and those companies are going to need someone who knows how to support them, no matter how good or bad Vista is.

That said, if I were you, I'd start out with Windows XP as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Stick with the self study route and save your self some money.

Use some of the money you would have saved to treat your self when you pass each certification as an incentive.

My treat this year was extra week in the sun in Menorca but set your self your target or reward.

Jobs prospects are not great in Norfolk, consider moving away!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Seems like you have a good bit of experience. Two questions: How much of it is directly related to the MCSE course work/domains and what are your ultimate career goals? Contrary to popular belief, the MCSE cert (7 certs/7 exams actually) is not the only one in the universe. If you, for instance, had the ultimate goal of being a webmaster or DBA, having an MCSE wouldn't be particularly relevant. There are other certs that cover those career paths.

My recommendation would be to take a look at your experience, current skill sets, and your career goals and *then* decide what certifications/qualifications will help you advance. If your answer happens to be "MCSE", so be it, but don't assume it's a foregone conclusion. Cheers. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

Hi BosonMichael,

Thanks for the Advice. I'll stick to thouse.

As for Vista, that's a debate that could rage for years (well till 2010 when the next version is released). :lol:

10. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

Hi Trip,

Well to answer your questions:

2.5 years as Desktop Support in a Hospital. Some 2000 users on 800 PC's/Terminals and an IT support team of....5!!! with an additional 2 call takers, 2 Admins who didn't have time for much else and 1 manager! 10 in total :) Busy busy busy!! LOL

2.5 years was THE IT guy for a small firm makeing loudspeakers. Did everyting from networks, webmaster, company policy, training, purchasing, BA, kitchen sink, loo role.... you get the idea. 50 pc's and two offices, one here in the UK and one in the USA, VPN link between the two.

7 weeks as an IT manager for a Doctors practice. Lets just say I can't say anything "polite" about the manager I had there.

8 months in Electrical retail. Well I had to work somewhere.

2.5 years as a BA for a Medium/getting larger enterprise. Specification requirements, testing and training with some support thrown in for good measure.

As for Career goals I would like to get the following Qualifications over the next 4 to 5 years:

MCSE - Because EVERY job interview I've had in the past 12 months, They have mentioned that I don't have one and questioned my technical ability. That's regardless of the job role I was applying for and no lie!

PRINCE2 - As it can't hurt and I think I can get my company to pay for it.

MBS Professional Dynamics NAV - Name one large company without some kind of EPR/CRM system. Again, my current employer may well pay for it.

ACCA - Just cause I want to.

After that I may look at doing a business management degree then hopefully someone will employ me as a Manager or even better CIO or ICT director!!! LOL!! Who knows, it's a far fetched dream but I may as well chase it and see where I get. :D

Thanks for the advice though. I would have taken it if I hadn't thought long and hard already about it. :) Anyone reading this post, LISTEN TO THE MAN TRIP!! Seriously, DO!

11. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

Hi Spilly,

I like the way you think! That really is encouragement!! except I demand a holiday every year anyway so I'll go with and X-Box or new laptop! :D

As for moving away from Norfolk, if you can convince my wife........ yeah that's right. I'M STUCK HERE! :blink

12. Fresh_Mint

Fresh_Mint New Member

Hi Wizard,

Thanks! It's good to be here... at least until everyone gets sick of me!! LOL