Hello all!!! I'm a newbie to all of this.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AllanS18, Feb 20, 2009.

1. AllanS18

AllanS18 New Member

Greetings. My name is Allan, and I'm about to embark on a new carrer in IT (currently working in Human Resources). At some point I would love to learn routers and become CCNA certified. I want to dive right in, but as a trusted friend once said "you have to learn to walk before you can run". I am taking IT training courses at my local community college that cover PC hardware and Pro Systems. I will be A+, Network+, MCP, and MSCA certified once i've completed the courses and taken the exams. I would like to start out at a help desk or as an LAN administrator and use my experience and knowledge to move up to networking. If anyone has any helpful advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd advise waiting on getting the MCSA until after you meet Microsoft's recommended experience level, which is 6 months of real-world experience doing server administration (which is typically not what you'll be doing in your first IT job). Instead, you might consider the MCDST.

Otherwise, your plan to "walk before you run" is pretty sound. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Take your time, don't rush - it's not a race, only take the exams when your ready and start send out your CV/resume now :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

As said don't rush and I'll add that having certs beyond your experience level can have an adverse effect on your employment prospects.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to the Forum.

Good luck studying.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  7. AllanS18

AllanS18 New Member

I've just landed my first internship. I'm going to be shadowing a PC Technician and a Network Technician on my weekends. I'm still going to be taking my cert courses in the meantime. I'll get a chance to get my hands dirty.