Hello all - help & guidance badly needed...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by nbensonUK, Oct 21, 2006.

1. nbensonUK

nbensonUK New Member

Just wanted to say hello & introduce myself before I start badgering you all for advice!

Currently have an OK(ish) job as an MI analyst, but do get to spend most of my time writing VBA and SQL which is cool 'cos I enjoy them both

Would love to make the step up though and get into proper application development in VB .NET, probably business systems as that's all I know :rolleyes: but would much rather be sitting on the other side of the fence :D

Am working my through some (very big :eek: ) books and finally got my head round the OO concept (and now wondering how I ever lived without it!) - still got a long way to go but feel like I'm making progress at least

Anyway, I have no qualifications post-GCSE so am thinking MCTS is the way to go but need to know more about it first, hopefully that's where you guys can help out :biggrin

Certifications: None (yet!)
    WIP: None, but thinking about MCTS
  2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Welcome nbensonUK!!

Your particular topic is not something im familiar with but im sure there will be help on its way.

Hope you stick around.

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. nbensonUK

nbensonUK New Member

Cheers guys :)

Already found this site useful just through reading some of the other posts. For example I was almost convinced that I was going to need to take out a big loan to put myself through a boot-camp but it is encouraging to read posts from people who have actually passed exams purely through self-study so now thinking that maybe boot-camps aren't my only option

Certifications: None (yet!)
    WIP: None, but thinking about MCTS
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate.

I am not a fan of the boot-camp principle, they seem to be a quick method for getting certified but the pace is so fast that much of the knowledge will be stored in short term memory and hence will not be properly embedded in your true understanding.

Studying is about learning the theories and principles long term, so that you can really improve your knowledge of the topics. It's not about getting a piece of paper.

Good luck, self study at your own pace is the cheapest method there is!

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - RAM instead of ROM...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yeah maybe, or RAM (short term) as opposed to HDD (long term) :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. turtle

turtle New Member

I'm a C++ developer and want to get into C#.net. For me, it's easy to learn C# as it's like C++.

When I first started learning programming on my degree, it was so hard! I was really struggling, I never thought I'll be a developer! It sounds like you have the talent for it, as you can do VBA and SQL. You can easily get the books and teach yourself. There's loadsa online articles and code examples. Self-study is possible! My brother graduated from uni this summer, he did a Information Management degree and it wasn't that technical, he hardly did any programming, only some VB. He spent 3 months over summer studying for one of the Microsoft exam. Think he did the web based application exam. I'm not too familar with how the certifications work, how many exams you need to take to be fully qualified...anyway, he only did one exam, so he wasn't fully qualified and he recently got a job in a software house.

Learn the stuff, do one exam, and with your exisiting work experience, you can start applying for junior development jobs.