Hello all :) Got some questions

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Eggbert, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Hey hey Eggbert here.

I have had a browse around and this seems like a very informative site with friendly, helpful users.

Anyway, here's my situation...

I am 29 and have been working as a technician for about 12 years on close to minimum wage (started with a traineeship when I was 17). I have basically just been working in various computer retail stores as a computer technician.

My roles include the odd computer sale, and a hell of a lot of computer repair/building and phone support. I have learned mostly through experience. I don't have a single paper qualification, but I certainly know my way around the workshop. I don't have a lot of experience with server machines or things like Exchange server or call logging, pbs systems etc..

My question is, if I were to become A+ certified, would that coupled with my experience as a retail computer technician be enough to land me a decent level 1 help desk job? Or would the experience they require be more along the lines of a call center?

Thanks a lot.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums... :sunny

I’d say, with your experience of 12-years, if you were to get the A+ followed by the N+ you would be in a good situation to get into a level-1 helpdesk role. The pervious experience is the key, the certs are just the paper to get your resume from being overlooked. :rolleyes:

3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, get your A+ sorted and you should be fine.

Why not start applying now anyways, just make sure your CV highlights as much tech support as you can truthfully muster and get that CV off to agencies and online job sites (such as reed)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

BTW if i were hiring id go with the proper tech than any call centre chicken (anyone else see those daft adverts?)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome! 8)

Good advice given already...

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure! In addition, I'd think that your time as a Level-1 tech would be short, as your experience might lend itself to quick resolution of Level 1 problems... thereby earning you a trip up the IT career ladder. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Thanks for the responses :)

How does level 1 help desk usually work? (ie, what is the general routine of a level 1 helpdesk person)

Also what type of problems do they generally deal with?

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends entirely on the company... they're about as varied as anything can be.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!