Hello all. First post. help!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jungle, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Jungle

Jungle New Member

Hello all you experts out there.

Initially I would like to ask for help from all forum members.
    Heres the gist....
    Ive very recently taken redundancy from my work with the view to changing my career.
    I have several friends in different areas of IT and these friends believe I am well suited to this type of career.
    Im heavily interested in eventually becoming (long term) a software developer. I am currently home studying C and sql server. I have now been researching for two weeks on the best certificates and qualifications to get a start on the ladder. I have looked at Degrees and Diplomas, Comptia A+ and Microsoft certs. I have so far ruled out a degree becuase of the time it takes to complete and the lifestyle changes needed.
    I recognise the Comptia A+ certs and Microsoft certs as the routes that are most viable for me currently.
    So.... A couple of weeks ago I began looking at training providers on the net and getting quotes and course material and all the typical sales speel and what have you, trying to work out who is a reputable company and who offers value for money. (I wont post who, I dont want advise from anyone from tp's at the moment - I know about Advent btw).
    I have been reading several posts on here from people saying that self study is the best way and that for the price of books and exams, and using free online support/mock exams, I can bypass the need for TP's altogether. I would like to know people feelings on self study as well as anyone for/against using TP's. Also if i were to go down the total self study route, where can I go for specific books and where can I purchase exams, Microsoft especially.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Jungle

Jungle New Member

However, I have just looked at Zimbos post on self studying and the Arrowyn post on training providers.
    Any more advise would be most helpful though.:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST