Hello...again

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MasterDelgado, Dec 8, 2020.

1. MasterDelgado

MasterDelgado Nibble Poster

So I'm a Brit who lives out in Canada (been here over 10 years) and I've got 3 years of IT experience under my belt (Desktop Support and Jr. Sysadmin with some Networking and Documentation thrown in). Am between jobs now as my last company decided to use Covid as a cost-cutting exercise. Not in a rush to get back into a couging and sneezing office again, so am taking time out to do a bit of up-skilling and thinking about what else I can do.

Am in the process of getting Comptia Sec+ and then CCNA to back up the 3 years of hands-on experience. Not keen to go back into a Support role.

Also considering a move to either Europe or the UK as I've had more than enough of Canada and how things (don't) work over here. People were nice but I've been shafted by the way business is carried out over here way too many times.

Certifications: Sec+ | Fortinet NSE 1 & 2
    WIP: CCNA
  2. MasterDelgado

EDIT: Passed the Security+ earlier this week after a couple of months of study. Moving on to CCNA.

Jaron78 and JK2447 like this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Congratulations that's great! Did you enjoy studying for this one? I thought it was very interesting. I'd quite fancy studying more security related certs, maybe a CISSP but I worry about how dry it can get when you get to the higher levels like that.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. MasterDelgado

Thanks. I was studying for the Sec+ as if it was an Oxbridge entrance exam - made hand-written notes on each domain and subdomain (from the Darrill Gibson book and Professer Messer videos) and at the same time I tried to memorize a bunch of "well known" Ports & Protocols. Also used Boson testing software as well as Jason Dion's Udemy Sec+ tests (was on sale).

I actually started reading the Sec+ book last summer (), but in April I started studying again and had to rush in order to make the July deadline for the current SY0-501 exam. Found a half-price exam voucher on Reddit.

At the end of the day, this was like an IT Security pub quiz with some hands-on questions (if you've ever messed around with the GUI for any network equipment, you'd be on familiar ground).

Not sure what your job situation is, but the CISSP is quite pricey and would be best covered by an employer. I've heard that it gets you in the door at Big Four professional services firms but yes, it's a bit dry and management-level.

JK2447 likes this.