Hello advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Joe_Black, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Joe_Black

Joe_Black New Member

Hi I am new to the forums. I have been messing around with computers, using mostly windows (95 up to vista) and some linux distros for about 10 years. Right now I am working for a company which I won't name who provides phone tech support/help from nottingham UK. In short I don't want to be there anymore, it was my way in to IT but now I need a way of the bottom step of the ladder (Anyone can work there, even people who know nothing about computers apart from how to surf the internet and plug it in, which is kind of scary). I need something challenging I am a computer geek I actually get excited about them. Looking at jobs I thinking some sort of unix admin type role perhaps or something more focused towards networking. Right now I am going for my A+, which I should have soon easily, then I figure A+ network should be easy and give me a better base to start of with. I figured getting a CCNA would be a start and running a hobby apache server on FreeBSD might be a start (unless my ISP catches me :( ). Any ideas as I have only been working in IT for a year and really have no idea what experiance or qualifications I need to go in the direction I want to apart from perhaps a qualification and experiance for the server/OS I want to work with. I would welcome any advice as am a bit lost!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

A quick note - most ISPs don't care if you run a server on your connection. The speed is very limited in any case.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Joe - welcome. A+ then who knows where next ?? :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate.

Personally I would recommend that you self study the CompTIA A+ and the Net+ then once you have those under your belt and you are more aware of what the certification process entails, you will be in a better position to make a judgement.

CCNA for example is an option but you have to consider what are you going to do with it. It is a vendor specific qualification, Cisco kit is good but it is very expensive. Hence most companies that employ that kit will have their own IT support that have qualified people with years of experience maintaining it. They will not employ a person with little or no experience to configure their Cisco routers, firewalls and switches. So, if you can't use your knowledge you will lose it and the cert will expire.

Certs are meant to underpin your existing knowledge, in a working environment with a product. They are not a ticket into a highly paid job, that is a common fallacy.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

CCNA's a bit of a step for a "start"... you need a bit of experience with networking and Cisco gear before attempting it, in my opinion.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

Welcome Joe, and I agree with BBMichael, since I am going through the CCNA Cisco Academy training right now, it is pretty intense. I always recommend the combination of A+ and Network+ as the first two certs to get, since they give you the broad base of support info to then go in any direction.

Network+ is the younger sibling to CCNA. I wish I had followed friend's advice and gone for CCNA shortly after getting N+, since in the intervening years I have forgotten much of the overlapping material. :blink :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  7. Joe_Black

Joe_Black New Member

Thanks for the advice, ill get my A+ and network+ and work out where to go from there.

8. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Try your best ^^!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  9. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Just to ask regarding expiration of certifications...which ones expire? And how long is the expiration on them?

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think they all expire apart from the CompTIA ones which you have for life. Not sure how long the MS ones last tho

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Ok thanks, I'll ask my tutor about that! Might as well just say "I can fix that, even though my certifications are in the bin." :)

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Microsoft exams do retire, but once you gain a certification, you've got it for life.

CheckPoint certifications expire - I believe that you can keep the certification 6 months after 2 new revisions of the exam are released.

From what I understand, Novell certifications expire, but I haven't ever seen Novell complain when someone states they're a CNA on NetWare 4, for example. Technically, they want you to certify on new versions.

Obviously, Cisco certifications expire, and you must recertify every 2 or 3 years.

CompTIA's certifications are good for life.

Not sure about Sun's certs. I've got a Solaris 9 cert, but not sure how long it's good for.

Also not sure about Oracle's certifications. Probably good for life on the particular Oracle version (similar to Microsoft's version-specific MCSE certifications... where you can say that you're an OCP on Oracle 9i).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!