Hello. A brief intro...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Gunner, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Gunner

Gunner Bit Poster

After 10 years working in the travel industry I was somewhat suddenly made redundant in May08. Shortly afters I decided it was time to try IT as I had a passing interest in it (not to mention that as I’m in my late 30’s :eek: it was now-or-never), and wanted to know more about how Excel and Access worked. I signed up with Advent Training to do MCDBA.
    In Jan09 I finally got my first proper IT job (having had 3 months on a helpdesk that had a small element of IT support), but as I travel for over 3 hours a day it doesn’t leave me much time to study!
    I would like to get MP£ tutorials so I could listen and learn while travailing, making it faster/easier for when I do get to sit down to do my study on the pc.

Certifications: Comp TIA+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Gunner

Gunner Bit Poster

7. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

oops, must have overlooked the MCDST part of your post :S

posted something that may be of interest in the other thread

Certifications: A+
  8. BosonMichael

Keep in mind that the aids you are looking for are protected by copyright. If it's good quality training aids you're looking for, that's great - several members have already given you good advice. But if it's pirated content you're searching for (as, in your linked thread, you ask for "a copy of the CBT video"), then you've come to the wrong place... several of us here make our living off of certification training products, and we don't take too kindly to people stealing our stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of anything... just want to make sure that you understand what the forum policies are.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

As an add on to what MetalStar said about Mr. Ford's Class, I can attest to them being a wonderful set of podcasts/Ustream videos. They were so well done in fact, a little known training materials provider named Mike Meyers hired him to join his team over at total seminars. These podcasts are a great supliment to any A+ book, but he does recommend the Mike Meyers book along with most members on these forums.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
  10. Gunner

Gunner Bit Poster

Hi BosonMichael
    I totally agree with you ref making copies. I also work for a company where we all make our living from the programmes the developers write. Prior to moving into IT I was always suspect of copied programmes as they only mean trouble. Now I understand more then ever that they mean livelihood. When I say ‘copy’ I am using the old-fashioned terminology as in “I still have my copy of The Specials ‘Ghost Town’ on vinyl”, and NOT “Can you copy it onto a cassette for me?”. Hope that clarifies.

Thanks Metalstar and Pheonicks55 for the replies and suggestions. I am finding it difficult to get time to study (mainly due to the large time I spend travelling to/from work, which on a bad traffic day is nearer over 3.5 hours), so need all the additional aids I can get. When made redundant last summer I invested all my redundancy and a couple of extra thousand to pay £4900 for this training. (I was sold it be a very convincing salesman who said that I could be at MSDST within 4 months of signing-up!) I don’t want to shell out much more, but if I get good recommendations from people in the know then I may make that investment. I never know there was sooooooooo much to IT more then a bit of MS Office here, and a bit of web/emails there! It makes me respect IT pros a lot more!

Thanks again to all for the advice.

11. BosonMichael

Cheers! :thumbleft

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

If you are looking for help with the MCDST, there is a link at the top of the MCDST forum that might be of some help.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Gunner

Gunner Bit Poster

Thanks Nugget. Great info and advice on that link.

14. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design