HDI - Anyone, Helpdesk Institute?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by onoski, Jun 20, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

Just a quick question? have you heard of "helpdesk institute" called HDI, as I have been recently sent on a three days fast track training and given a pometric free exam voucher.

The voucher is to sit the exam for the "helpdesk analyst" cert which they reckon is equivalent to ITIL v3 level foundation. I would be sitting this exam soon as the subject matter is quite interesting touching on the below:

Management
    Problem management
    Incident handling
    Customer care
    Company objectives
    Benefits of technology
    Role play and team players
    Effective communication

The list goes on as I can't quite remember the others, but the three days was quite intense as well as interesting. Who said techies can't mend the way customers, management and end users expect or want them to:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

LOL! Sounds just like ITIL. if so, you've read the reviews on here about the course haven't ya.

3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Currently getting prepared to sit the ITIL Foundation exam, I would say some of these topics are covered in ITIL - things like effective communication, benefits of technology, customer care etc. aren't really on the same level as ITIL is more a framework for whole lifecycle of a project/programme, this HDI seems more how to do a Service Desk role (which is part, but a small part, of the overall ITIL idea).

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yep, I've heard of HDI, in fact I'm self-studying for their HDI Service Desk Manager's certs. However with PearsonVue, they only do the Japanese versions?!?!? With Prometric they do the English ones - go figure...

HDI certifications are based on ITIL, in fact they are based on 60 internationally recognised standards (not just ITIL). They aren't a direct equivalent of ITIL v3, however it does incorporate ITIL v3 standards into the Service desk role (where-as ITIL is a framework for the whole organisation, especially IT Services as a whole to adopt).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the insight, as I should have known better because I sat the course two months ago:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Passed the exam this morning:pepsi, questions were 60 in total and you need a 75% to pass so am quite happy. I can now finally concentrate on the 70-291 exam.

I saw a guy in the test centre sitting a Cisco cert asking the receptionist if he can have a calculator:) sure you guessed the reply and candidiate was:(

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :) I assume that you sat the SDI exam and not the HDI exam?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks ken, it was the SDI exam.

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Did you mention this sites advice (and address) in passing?

Learn to subnet in your head!

In fairness its pretty easy when you get the hang of it (its just the getting the hang of it part)

No calculators needed then

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal