hdd not registering pc wont start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dexter7, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dexter7

dexter7 New Member

my pc crashed and on startup the hdd seemed to disapeared. the pc does not register the hardrive in the boot sequence. it also says that the ide master and slave are not installed.(i also noticed it said the pci ide busmaster is disabled????) can anyone tell me how to fix this . there is power to the hdd which is about 4 months old aswell as the interface cable.any help is greatly appreciated thanks

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try new cables.

This may sound a little funny but does it smell ok? there could have been a short on either the mobo or Hard disk.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dexter7

dexter7 New Member

everything smells fine.i rebooted my pc with no hdd to try and reset the bios. i then put the hdd back in and it has started up fine. i am now backing up data.still havnt got a clue what caused it!!

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

maybe it came loose from the cable, do a scan disk ASAP incase the hard drive is failing, also download the manufacturers diagnostic utility and use that too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Had a similar thing with a users machine here at work, reseating the cable sorted the problem and theres been no errors since but I've still got a new drive with a full image of his stuff sat on the shelf ready to go should it fail!

I'd follow gbls advice and do a full health check on the drive to be safe though.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10