HDD Failure?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elli5on, May 4, 2011.

1. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi folk's, 1st of all, congratulation's on the new forum, Not been on for quite some time (New baby, work etc), Really done an impressive job :D

Now to my Problem, I've got a Dell Laptop from a neighbour with a BSOD unmountable boot volume OX000000ED error. I also have the original dell XP disk which i've booted from to try and run a chkdsk /r to see if this can resolve the issue... The disk simply wont boot into the CMD prompt to run the command. I've also tried to run a fresh installation, Each time i get to the same part, Examining the HDD. Once this part begins to examine, i get ''The Disk you are using may be damaged, Please insert windows XP service pack 2 disk and press enter to try again''

Im pretty certain his Hard Drive is shot. Just wondered what your take on it was? I've also tried an alternative original windows XP disk, and still the same.

Hope all is well :)

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the stop code you refer to usually means that the file system is damaged. This can occur when installing xp where bits of data are writen to one part of the disk and other bits are writen to another part of the disk and it gets screwed up.

upgrading to the latest service pack or using chkdsk/r should sort it but if it doesn't then it could signify a damaged hard disk. download the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic utility if dell make one and run that to see if it fixes the issue.

since its a dell is there not a recovery partition to restore to factory settings?

Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Have you tried reseating the HDD?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

From MS
    Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled Is Mounted
    "Note the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) in the error message. You might have to regenerate the error in order to write it down.

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, the cause of the error is that the file system is damaged. You can try to repair the volume to see whether this resolves the error. If the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, see "Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings" for help.
    Some things that you should know before you try this solution
    If the file system is damaged, you can use chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. However, if you use the chkdsk /r command, you may lose some data.
    You will need the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk. If you do not have them, contact the computer manufacturer for help in obtaining the disks.
    You will need the administrator password to complete the steps.
    To repair the volume, follow these steps:
    Start your computer by inserting the Windows startup disks or the Windows installation disk if your computer can start from the CD drive.
    When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
    If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do this.

Note If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.
    After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.
    If this procedure does not work, repeat it, but type fixboot instead of chkdsk /r in step 5.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please see the "Next steps" section for help.
    Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings
    If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, try these steps. If your computer does not use a UDMA hard disk controller, see the "Next steps" section for help.
    If your UDMA hard disk is connected to the controller with a 40-wire UDMA cable, replace the cable with an 80-wire cable.
    In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options, such as USB Support.
    If you are not sure how to follow these steps, contact the manufacturer or refer to the user’s guide that was included with your hardware."

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

if it is maxtor or seagate, you could try seatools (google it), but use the iso disc. recently had a laptop with a dodgy hdd, couldn't run chkdsk on it for some reason (it supposed to run before windows loads but that never happened, no idea why). managed to fix it with the above util. it might be beyond repair though, hope that helps