HDD chapters in Mike Meyers A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by marty1986, Mar 18, 2011.

1. marty1986

marty1986 Bit Poster

Hello did anyone find the HDD chapters a lot to take in while studying for A+, or could I have over done it reading up there in a week, I have also watched professor messer VTs but still dont feel like I understand all aspects.

Cheers

Mart

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It can be hard to take in a lot of information whilst studying something new. The key I found was and still is not to over do it or rush. When I am studying for a certification I study for a maximum of 2 hours a day but usually it is between 20 minutes and 1 hour.

If you study too much you may burn yourself out or confuse yourself with what aspects of the subject are major and what aspects are minor so do not overstudy.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

I use anki for memorising facts and factoids, letting me concentrate more of my thought cycles on the understanding and implementing.

Google anki.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Yeah, don't burn yourself out. Some studies say that the average human has an attention span for learning that is only 20minutes long, after that it begins to drop quite a bit...

Also, in todays world, we zip around from website to website and TV channel to channel at an increasing frequency which has had the effect of reducing our attention spans further. I don't know if this has any direct effect on our capability to learn, but I would suspect that we're becoming more prone to doing small spurts (like a minute or two here) when it comes to gathering info and enjoying it, rather than sticking to a subject for an hour...

We all learn at different speeds and some stuff overwhelms us more than other stuff. Work at a comfortable speed, get enough sleep, eat the right type of nutritional food and take an adequate number of breaks. Your body and mind needs them to absorb information. Things like lack of sleep and alcohol/drugs will severely hinder your learning process.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. marty1986

marty1986 Bit Poster

cheers lads just took my time read thru the chapter again and got my first 10/10 on the end of section quiz so I must be getting somewhere :biggrin

WIP: A+
  6. jonsey

jonsey New Member

i remem going through the A+ with myers book 4 months ago, as it approached the exam i was near panik as i never felt i was taking it in and a lot of the concepts seemed way to much to take in...i never felt happy with the end of chapter results either.

when it came to taking the exam i found i had absorbed more than i relised, the key i think it to take it easy read the material, mull it over in your head and think of real world applications and it will sink in a lot easier

Certifications: ILM 3, A+, ITIL F,
    WIP: 70-433;70-432