HD limit in WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jun 13, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello everyone!

Is there a limit to how big you can have a HD when using WinXP?

I do a lot of video editing and eats through HD space. I've been looking at a seagate 400gb barracuda.

Will this slip into WINXP or will I need to partition it into smaller chunks?

Monkey 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

limit is 2 tb (providing it's ntfs)

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Indeed - 2TB is the limit, but make sure you have a relatively recent motherboard that can natively deal with more than 127GB drives, it makes things much easier.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You don't have to but it will run a bit faster if you do.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. hbroomhall

Er - for video you *don't* want to split it up! :biggrin

If this drive is only going to be used for video then the way to keep it at top speed is to wipe and reformat (a fast format will do) after each project.

Harry.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the reply!

I have decided to go for an external with firewire connection.

In MM book it shows IEEE 1394a and IEEE 1394b firewire, yet the extenal harddrive doesn't show which one it is?

Is 1394b standard in the industry?

Monkey :blink

7. hbroomhall

Some thoughts here. 1) Capture from a MiniDV camera to an internal drive - some setups can glitch if Firewire is being used for input and output at the same time.

2) 1394b is the 800Mbits/sec standard and is fairly new. Unless it is marked 1394b and has the 9 pin socket it will be 1394a which is the older standard at 400Mbits/sec.

You may or may not see a difference in speed between the standards, hard drives only get up to that sort of speed in bursts.

Harry.

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

When i try to copy a file over i have an error message saying "there is not enough free space", i have 70gbs free?

atm im copying a folder with 20gbs[copying fine], and the error message im getting is from 1 file of 4.3gbs... the drive is FAT32 but cant remember whether that is exceeding the FAT32 limit... i should know this for my A+ :oops:

Am i hijacking this thread? if i am sorry...

9. hbroomhall

A file over 4GB is too big for FAT32. For safety limit file sizes to 2GB for FAT32. Some apps will handle from 2GB to 4GB, some won't, so it isn't safe assuming it will.

Harry.

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

No your not hijacking this thread and any questions or comments are most welcome! :biggrin

11. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well I know first hand XP Pro SP2 will handle 1 terabyte total hd space as my current machine has four WD 250 gig's.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the reply Harry, however, when I use Mini DV I do have a capture card I can capture it straight into Ulead Videostudio or Media studio, with no problem, using firewire or small USB. The only problem I have with space is after post production. Multiplexing and also with animation titles.

Hence the question about bigger HD's.

Also I have noticed if I create animated titles in pinnacle and save as Mpeg2 I can't get this to work on a DVD player or in Ulead video studio and yet when I create a short animated titles in Ulead and save as Mpeg2 they work fine? :unsure

2) thanks for pointing the 9 pin out, I guess the only other way is to save the footage onto a flash card than tape and get one of those 7 in 1 card readers?

Do you know what data transfer rates these 7 in 1 devices have??

Monkey :biggrin

Thanks for the advice Harry :thumbleft

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks The_geek, are these hard drives SATA's or IDE?

14. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

They are IDE.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  15. hbroomhall

Um - I'm having a hard time following this...
    You should never use USB to capture from a MiniDV cam - only firewire. Almost no cams can produce good quality via USB. The extra drive will help with the space problem.
    Indeed!
    The standard rule is to keep all your work in DV until the final render. If you create stuff in MPG2 you cause all sorts of possible problems. The final render *must* be within the DVD parameters. MPG2 covers a much wider spectrum of possible results compared to DVD - you must create for DVD in order to get the most players playing it.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here. MiniDV cams will only save poor quality clips to flash - the high quality is reserved for the tape and Firewire transfer.
    Poor! :biggrin

Harry.

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Good Quality, not sure what you are talking about there Harry, I have used my Hi8 and Mini dV camera to transfer footage via s-video, firewire and USB. The only difference is the speed.

The footage is pre-production is AVI. I use the software for converting to MPG or DVD format. USB does not effect the quality only speed.

I think that depends on your capture card and software. such as Canopus, adobe premier.

I

What I mean't today's digital camera's offer either mini dv or DVD and flash media card built in. The standard either MMC or SD is usually 8mb. However, you can get 1GB.

With regards to quality the card will be the same as a tape but not as long as a tape. I can still capture good quality footage.

Monkey.

Poor! :biggrin

Harry.[/QUOTE]

17. hbroomhall

Er - Hi-8 is different from MiniDV. The order of quality on that list goes- from bad to good - s-video - USB - firewire.
    Don't be mad when I say this but if you can't see the difference then either you aren't reporting this correctly, or you need glasses!
    Again - USB will make a huge difference on quality - so something else is getting in the way. AVI is just a container - it says nothing about what is inside.

Well - yes. If you have a firewire card than the transfer from MiniDV occurs *without loss*. No other capture system can claim that.

MiniDV is intended to be used for quality and editing. DVD cams junk a lot of the quality to get ease of use. In nearly all cases the flash cards built in are the same.

I'm sorry - but this just isn't true. I have *never* seen a card that gets anywhere near what can be done with MiniDV handled properly.

Harry.