Having Trouble Find Entry Level IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I am having trouble finding an entry level job in Information Technology. I have done a few projects here and there but now I find myself in need of a permanent job.I am considering taking a job that is not Information Technology related but I dont want to go back to doing what I use to do before getting my certification in computer repair.That type of work which was a warehouse clerk was a dead end job. I would like something anything in an office, while I keep lookiing for work in Information Technology and continue studying what do you think what type of jobs / postions should I think about. Also how will employers react knowing that I ultimately want a job in computer repair. Will they deny me a job because they think I am not going to stay at that job. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Try to get a call centre job then maybe after a while you maybe able to get a job in IT support after that you might be able to get into PC repair.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I agree, get a job thats customer focused, to develop your customer service skills.

You also want to get yourself into continuous employment ASAP. Having gaps in your employment record, or constantly switching jobs, doesnt look good (unless its contract work, and you specify that it is).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you are not having any luck getting a help desk or PC tech job, look for any sort of call center job, as the others have stated.

Sure, they can deny you a job if they think that you're not going to stay. So if you don't want them to know that you ultimately want a job in computer repair, don't tell them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I got my A+, I posted my resume (CV for those of you in the UK) and contract agencies swooped in like a plague of locusts offering me hardware, software, and Ethernet rollout jobs. They ran from a day to a weekend to a reoccurring series of jobs...nothing permanent, but each one was experience I could add to my resume and of course, they all paid me in money. Try the following:

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Defaul...5153941-RI-4&ns_siteid=ns_us_g_carrierbuilder

http://www.dice.com/

By the way, I *hate* monster.com. Every other page you go to is some sort of spam and in my opinion, they're not worth the effort.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Professor-Falken

I think for now I will try to get a call center job.

Professor Falken

7. Fergal1982

Remember though, just because you are broadening your search to include non-IT jobs, doesnt mean you should stop looking for IT jobs. If one comes up before you get a job elsewhere, then all good!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. Professor-Falken

So how do I change my resume so that it doesnt show. I mean that has been my whole purpose.

Here is my resume:

Objective: Enthusiastic and hardworking bilingual individual seeks employment in an IT based role. Recently Comptia A+ certified and currently enrolled in a Network+ course I am determined to bring value for money to my next employer.

Education: New Horizons Computer Learning Center Miami,Fl
    Comptia A+ Certification 2007

Hialeah Miami Lakes Technical School Miami Lakes, Fl
    GED 1986

Experience: Corporate Staffing Miami, Fl
    06/.2005 – 08/2005 2005
    305-477-4960 Jessica Dain
    Warehouse clerk
     Counted, sorted and weighed incoming articles to verify receipt of items on requisition or invoices.
     Stored articles in bins, on floor and on shelves according to identifying information, such as style, size and type of material.
     Marked identifying codes, figures and letters on articles, using labeling equipment.

Ablest Staffing Miami, Fl
    12/2001 –06/2005
    305-592-5997 Jeanette Padron
    Warehouse clerk
     Stored articles `in bins, on floor and on shelves according to identifying information, such as style, size and type of material.
     Determined methods of storage, identification and stock location, considering temperature, humidity, height and weight limits, turnover, floor loading capacities and required space.

NCR Miami,Fl
    HelpDesk 1990 to 1991
     Provided technical assistance and training to system users.
     Instructed users in use of equipment, software and manuals.
     Answered client inquiries in person and via telephone concerning systems operation.

9. BosonMichael

Easy: change your objective to focus on customer service, and remove the information about New Horizons and your A+ certification.

Such as...

Objective: Enthusiastic and hardworking bilingual individual seeks employment in a call center or customer service based role.

Always tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for. For example, if I'm applying for an IT instructor position, I highlight my teaching skills, and if I'm applying for a network administrator position, I highlight my network administration skills. For you, if you are applying for a customer service type job, you should highlight those skills. Make the employer want to choose YOU, specifically because you fit the position well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. greenbrucelee

What he said.

11. Professor-Falken

I will make more than one copy of my resume. But the problem is the gap I have a 2 year gap in employment
    and that was the time I took out to complete school. What do I say when an employer asks?

Professor Falken

12. greenbrucelee

That you were studying

13. Fergal1982

thats a novel idea!

Employers hate gaps in your employment history. Studying is not considered a gap though. Its when you cant account for the time in a satisfactory manner that concerns them

14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to lose the 1986 GED piece. If you were a young kid and you got your GED in 2006, it would probably be relevant but this piece of news is over 20 years old. Whenever a job application has a space for the high school I went to and what year I graduated, I leave it blank. It was a loooooooooong time ago, and since I've got university degrees, no one cares when I graduated from high school. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. BosonMichael

Didn't we already discuss employment gaps with you a couple months ago? link

16. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

You mentioned that you are "having trouble finding an entry level job in Information Technology." Since you have A+, I'm assuming that the entry level you're referring to is "technician-wise". You didn't mention the trade of the particular companies you applied to, so I'll make a few suggestions here. I was faced with similar problems and after shelling out so many $$$ for studies and certification -- only to find out that you still can't get a job -- I can understand why any job is better than none.

Here's my advice. While you can't get the specific PC Tech position you want, there's still a chance to get one that is closely related and work your way up from here. Before I got my A+, I applied to a popular store for a technician position. They didn't have any available and I only had a technician package course as an IT cert. Anyways they took me on to be the data entry tech for the whole store. Now since this store is very popular, all the customer reps were busy and needed help. I always had time to spare and the boss asked me one day to go and assist the reps in the IT dept (since I was knowledgeable in that field). I did great and gave excellent advice and explainations related to pc preventative maintenance, power control, printers and how everything worked together. Before you knew it, almost everyone was buying surge suppressors, line conditioners, UPS backups and stabilizers!!! The boss saw that and flipped! The next thing I knew, he had me assisting in the dept more often! During that time people would bring in their pc's to be repaired and I would also be assisting the guys in building pc's. The boss saw my determination and gave me a raise and even a wallopping bonus every month! It was just as if I was employed as a tech! It was also there that I got alot of customer service experience.

1 year later, I seriously began to study A+ and I needed something less brain-wrecking than data entry for an entire store + IT customer rep! So I applied for a regular IT tech position at an international call center who deal with prepaid cellphones. The call center was close to home and they worked on a 7hr shift.......excellent conditions to study! I got employed as a customer rep intead, cuz they already had techs. Upon employment, they took us through a 2 week customer service course -- which added to my practical experience. Eventually I finished the A+ and at the same time I had a huge amount of customer service experience behind me. They had an IT tech vacancy 1 week after I was certified and I applied for it. 2 and a half weeks later I got the position, a salary raise, additional benefits, as well as the job I always wanted. I'm now dealing with the network, pc repairs and maintenance and MCSA related stuff such as active directory, group policies, etc.

But it all started from working in positions close to the IT field. Why not try applying as a customer rep in a computer store? That's your biggest opportunity right there. You can also try applying to a call center like the other guys suggested.........it worked for me. I didn't mean to write so much, but I just wanted to share my own experience so that you and others can get ideas and don't lose hope if you don't get your dream job right away. Hope this helped.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270