Having problems with 70-271 self-study

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by RickUK, Jul 3, 2008.

1. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hello folks

I am finding it a little tough going to motivate myself. I am reading the Microsoft Press book. A great deal of the subject matter is new to me and I am not sure that I am taking it in. I am making notes whilst I am reading. I fortunately have Windows XP Pro on my laptop so I try out everything that they mention.

I am currently unemployed and have all the time in the world. But I find it difficult to make time to study.

Has anyone else had problems motivating themselves? It seems to me that I could do with a deadline of some kind. Perhaps I could try to finish reading the book in a week's time. I've got 70% left to go at present. Could I aim to do the exam in a few weeks' time?

All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Regards
    Richard

WIP: 70-271
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why not book the exam? Then you have to study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Pressure is a great motivator for me at least:twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Good thinking. How long should I give myself until the exam? I don't want to go in underprepared but I also want to make it soon enough that I remain motivated.

Rick

5. greenbrucelee

depends how much time you can set a side for study, the way I do it is 2 x 45 minutes a day. 45 minutes during a break at work or after my tea. Then 45 in bed.

Sometimes I do 20 minutes but you shouldn't do more than 45 minutes imo.

6. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

OK. That's doable. I have more spare time than you do at the moment.
    So let's say I can do between one and a half hour and three hours a day if I am really at it. Looking at the book now, I am a third of the way through and will need to revise what I have read.

End of July?

Rick

7. greenbrucelee

End of July could be doable, get some practice exams then you will know if you are ready. Don;t do them untill you think you are ready then if you do well on them then book the real thing.

8. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

OK. Cool. Thanks

9. ninjadeathcult

ninjadeathcult Bit Poster

I am one of the least exprerienced persons to be making comments but I have just passed to 70-271. I also found it hard to motivate myself to study but as I work in IT support if no one is calling me with an issue I can sit at my desk and study. My method was to read throught the book and least 1 hour per day, untill i got to the end of the book ,I then read throught the book again making short notes, then read through again this time writting out all important information as questions and answers and typed onto sheets. I then booked the exam for a month off and went through notes for about 1 hour a day and spent the other hour doing practice tests. I found no matter how hard I tried I could never study for more than 2 hours a day maximum even when I had days off from work and really wanted to study. A friend of mine reccomended to me that he found it easier to study when not in the house and reccomended going to the library (where there are less distractions cough cough playstation cough cough)

good luck

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
  10. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

As the other guys said get to 80% finished in your study then book your exam for a month ahead.

Loosing £88 by failing is great motivator in it's self.:eek:

Works for me but hey don't tell my brain you can always reshedule an exam:wink:

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK