Have you ever taken an open-book exam? Do you see the value?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

My boss has suggested I take an exam which is relevant to my job. I recently discovered it is open-book. This got me questioning if there is much value in taking the actual exam really. Anyone ever done one? I will do it as I pay nothing for it so its win win and something to chuck on the CV.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I've done one or two over the years and they can still be tricky. Even with a book in front of you, you still need to be smart enough to apply the knowledge to a situation. Like you say there's nothing to lose so smash it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    Kitkatninja likes this.
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Totally agree... I do like open book exams for the following reasons:

1. You can't brain dump an open book exam (or should I say, i haven't heard of cases involving that) and
    2. In IT, say remembering stuff is all part of course, but more often than not, you are searching for the answers :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    JK2447 likes this.
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah – many years ago I did a C++ exam that was open book. Don’t think because its open book it will be easy as you still need to answer questions but have resources in front of you to use.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs