have you ever heard a question like this?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

[​IMG]

by looking at the example

pc1 has a packet that is about to be sent to pc3 and packet has arrived the switch then source
    address written to MAC(address) table . Also pc1 knows the destination MAC address of pc3
    but this doesn't exist in MAC table of switch ......

when packet has arrived the switch from pc1 and source address was saved to MAC table ,
    also should destination MAC be written at the same time ?(because pc1 knows destination MAC
    i mean MAC of pc3)

Certifications: CCNA
  2. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

Firstly, yes the switch will learn the mac of PC3 but it won't learn it from PC1. Secondly how does PC1 know the MAC of PC3 since individual PC's do not route, they simply address the packet and send it out. Its down to a switch, router etc to make sure a packet reaches its destination.

Secondly where do you get these questions, is it some kind of uni work? or do you just think them up?

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i thought so because , questions say like

"pc1 wants to send a packet to pc3" (this sentence blends my mind and i think pc1 knows pc3)

and due to this sentence when pc1 packet (in fact bits) arrived the switch then made its address(source) save,
    it gives me a view that pc1 knew pc3 address and please "i wish that you save pc3 address"

Certifications: CCNA
  4. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

No it means the switch learns PC1's MAC, since this really sounds like an assignment you have for uni I don't want to give you any more answers. This is really basic stuff check out the internet, or CCNA books for help.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Then you need to pay more attention to the questions Kobem. Read whats ACTUALLY stated, rather than what you interpret it as saying. Many exam questions in all exams pad out the basic question with useless guff to try and throw you off. You need to be able to read the question and understand it completely, whilst cutting out all the guff and getting down to the basics of the question.

For instance:

That question (I made it up by the way) contains a load of guff in it, but the question itself is really quite simple. If you are unable to cut through the guff and get to the facts and the heart of the question, then you will be unable to answer questions in exams.

EDIT: I should point out that if you cant do this in exams, then theres no way you will be able to function in the real world. When you are in charge of the infrastructure of a company, and things go belly up, you are highly likely to be getting a hell of a lot of information from the users/other techs/etc. You need to be able to cut through it all and figure out whats relevant and whats not.

When I was in support, I would regularly get users bashing my ear with tons of information that they thought was relevant to their problem. It wasnt, but I had to sift through it all and figure out what was and what wasnt.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Where did you get that from GCSE bitesize :D

Fergal is correct Kobem you need to learn to to sift useless information out of the questions to see what is really being asked.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This information can be learned by studying for the Network+ certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee

he can't get the N+ book because he doesn't have a card or can't get his parents to order it for him or any friends to order it for him.

Apparently :blink

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If something is truly important for you to get, you will find a way to get it, will you not? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee

Thats what I said.

He is being a lazy student

He wants other people to give him the answer i.e Braindump without using Braindumps.