HAve you ever had an injury that was worse than you thought?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 15, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have had pains in the bones in my left hand for about a week. I thought it was a bit of RSI or carple tunnle from playing computer games too much.

The pain got worse this morning so I went to the doctors and I had to go for x-rays it turns out that I have broken my wrist and ripped a tendon on the left side.:blink

I don't know how I have done it or not realised but I have got it strapped up to heal now.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Rachael_B

Rachael_B Nibble Poster

Youch, I'm quite impressed you have managed to break your wrist and carry on through the pain for a week. Does this mean no gaming for a while?

When I was 17 I went down a half pipe and slipped and cracked the bottom of my back (cant remember the name of the bone) At first I thought I would be fine but within an hour I could barely walk. It took weeks to fully recover. I never went to the hospital because I know it was gonna be bad news. I regret that now because sometimes my back locks and I cant stand up.

I think I'm going to suffer when I get older :blink

Certifications: A+, ITIL v3 Fdn, Network+
    WIP: 70-680, 70-685
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah, when i used to be really into my weight training about 6 years ago i thought i had pulled a muscle in my abs, this went on for a few months until i got it checked out. The doctor checked me over and found that i had a hernia. When they operated they found i had bilateral inguinal hernias (one each side)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. greenbrucelee

nah, my finger still work so the WASD key's can still be used :D

I am always injuring myself usually when I'm asleep so I am used to a bit of pain. Quite often I end up popping my shoulder blade out but it pops back in with the use of a door frame.

Probably your cocksyx and I would get any lasting damage checked out, I bruised mine falling of BMX when I was 9 that was sore enough, never mind cracking it.

I bet that hurt, did you need an operation?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Fortunately, no. But now that I've said that, I'll likely break my first bone sometime soon. :p

EDIT: Actually, I take that back... I once fell over a coffee table (that my wife moved to the middle of a darkened room) and landed on my pinky finger. Couldn't bend or straighten it fully. Figured it would heal within a few weeks, and it didn't. The docs cut it open, found no damage, and stitched it back up. But they must have moved a tendon or something, because afterwards, I got 95% of the mobility and strength back.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee

I think this thread could be used to tell people to go to the doctors instead of leaving things like we seem to do :)

I have never broken a bone before although I cracked two ribs when I was 11 after some kid threw a desk at me and the metal legs went in my rib cage (rough primary school). I was ok afterwards it was when I woke up the next day that I couldn't get stand upright.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually what bothers me isn't as bad as I think it is. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Never broken a bone in my body that i know of. But have go a dent in my skull from an acciedent as a baby (dont ask) and had stiches in my mouth after a fight at school!

But teh worst pain i ever had was when i was carrying my baby girl down stairs. It was a few years ago. I'd carried her down teh stairs at home then, all of a sudden when i hit teh last step, i collapsed and almost dropped her (she was about 1 1/2). I was in so much pain i couldnt walk. Had to get teh missus at the time, to carry me / drag me, back upstiars to bed and call a doctor. doctor came out and examined me all the time saying nothing was wrong. When asked to roll over i couldnt unless they pushed me and then it was in excruciating pain. Could hardly move my legs when asked. Doc just said to get up and move aroudn but no matter how hard i tried i couldnt. Was like that for 4 days, then it slowly went away, though i still ahd pain 2 weeks later.

A few years after, i was in a fight and my arm was pulled. After a few hours my back ached badly and i was feeling stiff, having trouble walking. managed to see a chriopractor, who said i had slipped 2 discs, when asked if it had ever happened before i explained about the above. They said at that point i had probably slipped the same two discs and trapped a nerve! Why teh doc at the time wouldnt see taht i dont know. Chrio just pressed hard and sudden on the discs and snapped them back in. It was pain, a lot but breifly and then my back was cured!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  9. greenbrucelee

Lucky you didn't drop her :)

10. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I haven't broken any bones before, and don't really want to if I can avoid it!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yeah, i had keyhole surgery to repair them both, they stapled kevlar gauze into my stomach wall.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

not broke any bone myself, sliced a few fingers, cant say the same about my son, He was playing football (in goal and for our American friends Soccer) when he dived to save but bent his hand back snad was in pain still when he arrived back home. He told me "I think I have broke my wrist" being the understanding Dad that I am asked him if he could move it and he said yes so I told him it was just proberley brusied and not to worry about it real reason didnt want to spen four hours in casualty. This was on a friday, by Monday my wife took him to the Hospital and sure enough he had fractured it.:eek:

as if lightining dosn't strike twice last weekend he done the same thing again, this time I took him straight up the hospital, reported to casuatly who promptly sent me to the "Urgent Care Center", now you would think by the name he would been seen quickley, Oh no this is just another name for casualty and it was three hours before they sent him for an x-ray this time it wasn't borken. mind you three hours listerning to my son ramble on about everything hes lucky he didnt come out of there with a broken Jaw. :rolleyes:

but at least im back in the good books with the wife now.:)

WIP: C++ and A+
  13. greenbrucelee

Ouch, glad you got it sorted.

14. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Only broken bone that i have had is my little toe :), as for other injuries i have sliced my hand open with a stanley knife:( when i first arrived at the hospital and they examined it they thought that i had slice through the artery. Luckily i missed it and just missed the tendon, all i needed was 11 stitches.
    I also have a very weak shoulder that has now dislocated 3 times and i am currently awaiting surgery for it. Now that is bloody painful :cry:

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  15. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Never had a physical injury that was worse than I'd originally thought. Though my friends and family would probably say that my mental state of mind is worse than I think! :biggrin

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  16. Armchair Pimp

Armchair Pimp Byte Poster

Broken and dislocated a few fingers when I used to play American Football.. but probably the two worse things I did were..

Carry a HP desktop printer up a spiral staircase at work.. go home and end up paralysed on my brothers sofa when I tried to stand up as I knackered my sacro-illiac (sp?) joint and it went into spasm..

Playing football.. has a sore knee for a while.. then played and the knee seemed to click out of joint.. extreme pain but I though I could run it off... played on for 10 mins but could hardly walk.. let alone play.. finally got treatment 6 months later and found that I'd ripped nearly all the cartilage off one side of the knee and torn the ligaments.. ended up with 2 months off crutches after surgery (which included micro-fracturing the end of my femur - joy!)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL Found+Pract, A+
    WIP: MCSA, MCTS, MCITP