HAve you ever gone back to basics to see how you would do?

Discussion in 'A+' started by greenbrucelee, Oct 16, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I just did an A+ Essentials practice exam that I hadn't done whilst studying for my A+ and scored 790, I am not sure of what to make of the results. Does it mean my knowledge has improved because of my studying, practicle and real life experiences or what?

When I did the essentials exam I only just passed however when I did the IT tech I aced it.

Has anyone else went back to basic to see what they'd get? and what do you make of my result?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Well, I went from being a network manager back to running a PC repair biz, which is mainly hardware and desktop support. Not sure how I'd do on an A+ practice exam, but I've damn near gotten to the point with hardware issues where I can give a machine a sniff and tell you what the problem is.

Anyone know where there are some free online A+ exams? I'll give one a shot and report back on my score. :)

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  3. greenbrucelee

try proprofs.com There own A+ essentials was written by Brother Bill who is a member here, let me know what score you get.

4. neutralhills

96/100 on A+ Essentials. Some of the questions were, um, funky.

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Great idea GBL - it's like the theory that after a couple of years driving, you'll have picked up so many bad habits, that you'd never pass a driving test again... lol

I have to say, the questions on the Core Hardware are... somewhat flaky to put it nicely. Apologies if that one was you too BrotherBill, but the grammar needs polishing up a tad.

Got 606 on core hardware, which is a pass still apparently. lol. Just found my thread from when I passed and I got a 745 originally. So there's definitely been a loss of knowledge somewhere... :unsure

If anything I'd say my knowledge has gone down as in my job we don't particularly deal with hardware swaps. We'll repair user desktop printers, but apart from that everything else is under service contract and warranty, and I just don't get involved[/] any more. Shoddy.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. greenbrucelee

On Proprofs I think Brother Bill only did the the seentials exam but it was good to see how my knowledge was since I did the exams.

7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I agree with you on this one. I am self trained from the age of 5 , got my first full-time IT job at 16 own business in my 20's I actually used to employ a few MCSE engineers.

I was shocked at how difficult i found the A+, apart from disagreeing with a lot of stuff and reading into questions too much. It didn't seem to be real worldly to me.

I truly believe there is a skill in its own right dealing with these type of certifications especially in the way they come across ie wording.

Just like IQ tests don't necessarily test how intelligent you are rather how good you are at IQ tests.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  8. neutralhills

Trying to remember the questions I got wrong...

One I answered Write Protection Fault when it should have been General Protection Fault. I'm so used to it being called "Illegal Operation" now that the old terminology has slipped out of my head. I understand the concept -- two proggies write to the same mem address and Windoze goes kablooey -- just didn't use the right terminology.

One question asked why the computer didn't beep -- I immediately thought of a bad CPU. It was a bit of a trick question as I was supposed to check the speaker connection.

Can't remember the rest.

9. greenbrucelee

The problem with the A+ especially the Essentials for me that there were so many questions that the answer could have been any of them. (not a real question)Like someone spill cofee all over the place in the server room, do you mop it up, tell the network admin, file an incident report, make sure everything is still working or something like that.

10. neutralhills

CompTIA needs to have Simon Travaglia write the A+ questions...

Q: A user rings you up and interrupts your game of X-Tank so she can ask you to install more memory in her computer. You should... (Pick the two best answers.)

a) Tell her that she can force her computer to double the access speed of the existing memory by inserting a folded piece of aluminum foil into an empty DIMM slot while the system is powered up.

b) Visit her for a consult and flick several laxative tablets into her coffee. Next, hack the building controls and trap her in the elevator when she tries to slip out to smoke a fag.

c) Invite her to visit Operations to pick up the memory, which she can install herself. Ensure that the door handle to Operations is properly connected to the three-phase mains.

d) Take the PFY and a couple of Tasers down to the Helldesk for some gentle "reminding" about why they should never forward calls of this nature to you.

11. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I liked A best, shortly followed by C :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  12. greenbrucelee

lol :D