Have you encountered such thing in packet tracer?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Mar 29, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I have seen something foolish. Im not able to attach a server directly to the router. Thought the reason why
    searched about it then i met you can close this gap by putting a switch between them. How stupid!

Certifications: CCNA
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

even more foolish is that you were probably trying to connect using a straight through cable rather than cross-over cable :) The reason the switch works is that you use a straigh through cable for both server to switch and router to switch connections. You require cross-over cable for switch to switch and router to router and also PC/Server to router.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

You really should go back to basics. Your starting to make a mockery of the CCNA.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Anyone can say they have one ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You are always pessimistic and i imagine you do this deliberately. No, i won't defend myself anymore cos
    you are driving me crazy in such behaviours.

How dare would you imagine i do not know which cable to use for which connections?:eek:

6. danielno8

Em, you're the one that said you needed a switch to connect the server to the router, which is not true (as long as you use a cross-over cable).

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Are you starting to see yet Daniel?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

please read my first post much carefully.

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Why does anyone bother responding to this troll? You are wasting your time - move along and just ignore it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

By this you must mean that you do not have a network lead long enough to reach from the server to the router. If this is the case you can do a number of thing. Buy a longer network lead, make a network lead long enough for the job or put a switch in the way. I was under the impression that modern switches/router would automatically sense whether the network lead was crossed over or straight through, so long as this has not been turned off on the router.

Kobem, if you are not getting the answers that you are expecting, then perhaps you need to reword the question. I know English is not your first language, but sometimes you may need to review what you have put so people can help you.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. danielno8

No. Explain where i am misunderstanding you.

He mentions doing this in Packet Tracer rather than physically trying to connect server to a router....

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  12. danielno8

It's not that i can't see he's hard/nigh on impossible to talk to. Would not let it annoy me though :)

13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ahh my bad Daniel

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. GW

GW Byte Poster

I just checked with Packet Tracer v5.3 and I was able to get the server connected to an 1841 with a cross-over cable, it is more acceptable to have it go to a switch before the router but in a pinch for a lab it would work but wouldn't be good for a real-world situation.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  15. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Yes, but alot of companies plug a firewall straight into the router, and then the firewall has a trunk connection to the switches, so you would come accross quite often. I do :p

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813