Have I been a doughnut? mmmm doughnuts..

Discussion in 'A+' started by DeCee, Mar 31, 2011.

1. DeCee

DeCee New Member

Afternoon all,
    Been tuning into this forum more and more recently based on recommendations I have read around the internet. 1st time posting.

Ive been working as a network/database administrator/IT guru/etc etc in a special needs school (many of the staff seem to have the special needs, especially when it comes to IT!) for the past 5 years, and am wanting to get some certification to help me eventually leave my job and move onto bigger and better things (£).
    Having been out of education for some time (even though working in a school :biggrin ), I figured that some guided tuition would be the safest bet in easing me back into things. However after reading about the A+ (the favoured starting point by many, it seems) and seeing some of the recommendations regarding self-study on here, I felt I would give this and maybe the N+ a crack myself and then shell out for some formal training for the next step up (something cisco'y or MS'y perhaps) if I felt the need.
    Following a link from here to some study guides (Mike Meyers - AIO Exam Guides) I now own material for the A+ and the N+, but here is the predicament: I have today realised that I have ordered & received the 5th edition of A+, whereas there is in fact a 7th edition now in print. I cant blame the links on here, I should have checked before clicking 'buy'. :noob
    Should I now go to the trouble of exchanging the guide? I am concerned that the mention of "Exams 220-701 & 220-702" on the cover of the newer book (absent from the cover of my 5th edition) may mean that the copy I have is completely out of date and pointless to hold on to. However if you guys know differently, saving me the trouble of exchanging would be of benefit also.

Cheers in advance for any help you can provide.

:blink

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I did the 601/602. which were the exams before the current version, and used the 6th edition so I can only assume the 5th edition is the 2003 version.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

A lot of it would be useful but you will prob be missing the newer technologies like solid state drives and stuff like that, so to be sure i would get the 7th edition.
    Another great resource is professormesser.com <---- Training videos for the whole course. FREE

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I agree with alex, both on the purchasing of a current version and in the Prof Messer vids. With 5 years experience under your belt you should be able to do it with an old book and the vids, but why gamble on two relatively expensive exams for the cost of a £20-30 book.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

exactly my point! Its more then a book its a bible! Can be used for on the job reference too

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. DeCee

DeCee New Member

Many thanks guys. Seems like sound advice!