Has this world gone mad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 20, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Just reading Ken (Wagnerk) thread on his grattitude for the emergency services.

When I spotted this article in the local news.

Paramedics terrorised as they battle to keep heart attack victim alive

The ambulance crew was attending to a woman with special needs suffering from a life-threatening illness and needed urgent hospital treatment when they heard breaking glass.

Click here to read the story

Source:- Daily Echo

As if the paramedics don't have enough on their plate they have to fend off people attacking them with screw drivers or knifes just to get at the ambulance's sat nav system.:ohmy

I can see people nicking them out of cars, but Ambulances??

Has anyone had there sat nav nicked or heard of emergency services in their area having them nicked? 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I read a story that in one of our cities the paramedics where called. When they arrived, there was no victum or wounded; they where called to get beaten up and picked clean of seditives (morphin). This happened a number of times.
    Now they ride in this area under guidence of police.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Tinus for sharing that!

I know over here in the UK they record all the emergency calls, but I'm not sure if they trace it to see if it's geniune call??

Do you use a sat nav?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunatley some people will do anything to get money or drugs usually the two are intertwined.

It used to be hardly heard off that an ambulance was broken into but it was usually for morphine or sedatives that a hardend smackhead would need.

But now because ambulance are equipped with sat nav and hi-tech radios then people who need to make a quick buck for whatever reason will be tempted to steal.

I used to live in a hostel not because I am smackhead but basically my flat complex caught on fire and this was the only temporary accomodation I could get. I saw a lot of things in that place, people who would steal from anyone to get money for drugs, food and even just for fun.

One lad who lived there had even bricked a police car to steal the onboard computer and radio but he must have smacked up when he decided to do it as the computer and radio were marked and easily found again.

It was mainly men and boys in there that would steal, the girls where mainly prostitutes but one thing is for sure most were people who thought the world owed them money just for existing and they saw no reason to work because of state handouts.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. greenbrucelee

No they dont trace thats why every once in a while you see an advert saying dont make prank calls to the emergency service

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks!

I guess it's the sign of the times!

My uncle said they used to leave doors unlocked and car windows open all night in the summertime but he was going back 20 years ago!:biggrin

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If it isn’t nailed down then the chavs will try and nick it! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. shambles

shambles Guest

Some relevant cliches...

We're reaping what we've sown. Treat people like animals and they act like animals. There's no such thing as society...

As I have said in another thread, I work around this stuff every day. And I can assure you all that you have seen nothing yet. Have you ever considered what the children of these people are learning? They'll behave exactly like their parents, but with the brakes off. I certainly agree with greenbrucelee's observations of what life in a hostel is like - it's a complete nightmare. But I think we need to look deeper for reasons as to why things are like this. Especially, I think we need to look to ourselves - we are all responsible for this, like it or not.

Look on the bright side though - maybe they'll all drown when the water starts rising...

9. greenbrucelee

Some people seem to want a quick buck these days and figure that if they can take it or switch off whilst doing something to make that quick buck then they'll do it instead of having to graft, but its these same people who get jelouse of people who have money because they've worked for it.

I think the so-called chav culture will be here for a long time because there are kids having kids and they have the lets be friends with our kids mentality instead of lets be a parent mentality and thats why there are so many problems.

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Me myself? Yes. I'm sure the paramedics do to, but they where after the sedatives.
    Also not sure if they trace the calls. I'm sure they are logged.
    I once experianced a guy having a hartattack and I called 112 (that's the 911 in the Netherlands). The ambulance was there within 10 minutes and they did not call back to verify. They just wanted the address and what the situation was.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP