Has anyone volunteered in a computer shop to gain experience?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I can't really volunteer for a charity for that long as that would be during the week but I have to find (any) job (and soon!).

So I'm thinking that the alternative could be volunteering in a local computer shop on a Saturday (no local charities appear to have opportunities on Saturdays).

Has anyone else done it? Was it primarily a 'backroom' role or were you serving customers (or both)?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

The way i found volunteer i.t work experience work from was I went and grabbed the phone book and google and I looked up local I.T companies and I emailed them and wrote my interest.

3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Church is another place that you can get experience and use it on a resume.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eh? There are likely to be plenty of churches who need Saturday and/or Sunday help. Other charities are probably out there who need help on the weekends (you know, during the time everyone else is off work and have the time to volunteer to help the charity... get what I'm trying to say?)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Churches in the UK don't need IT staff.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. BosonMichael

How are churches in the UK different from churches in the US? Are they banned from using computers? Cause if they're not, they need IT people from time to time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

The volunteering opportunites in my area are only from Mon - Fri and in the daytime.

I wouldn't have considered churches given that I'm a big fan of Richard Dawkins.:dry

There some churches in my area - but they were shut down years ago.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  8. ericrollo

Honestly our local church has not even have an organist to play its organ for the last 5 years.

A very small percentage of the UK population goes to church.

9. BosonMichael

You didn't answer my question. I didn't ask whether there were many active churches, nor did I ask how your local church was... I asked how churches in the UK - however few there are - don't need IT staff. For those few that exist, and for those who use computers in any capacity, they need people to help administer them... usually church volunteers.

10. BosonMichael

Well, you asked; I simply gave you one option to consider. I never said you needed to become a Christian.

Unless you live in a remote town of only a few thousand people, there are likely volunteering opportunities that you simply haven't considered or discovered. I live in a small town of around 25,000 people, and there are dozens of volunteer opportunities I could devote my time and energy to.

11. ericrollo

I cant recall ever seeing a church with computers.

I have seen a couple cathedrals with a point of sale device for selling merchandise though.

12. BosonMichael

Unless the UK has somehow become completely devoid of churches, I'd be quite surprised if those with more than a hundred members didn't have a computer.

Believe it or not, there's even a market for church management software that helps churches to track member information and donations. I've provided IT support for two churches (on a for-pay, non-volunteer basis) and both of them used it; the church I currently attend uses it as well.

So... for those who DO have an active church in their area, volunteering at a church IS a viable way to get some experience. Those who don't have an active church nearby can volunteer at any number of service organizations, such as those that cater to the poor, to the sick, to the elderly, or to youth. And this is just a few options for volunteering...

13. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I imagine very few have computers then.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  14. BosonMichael

Wow, really? 71% of the UK's population purport to be Christian, yet "a very small percentage of the UK population goes to church", and the few churches that exist have no more than a small handful of members? :blink Jesus wept. If this is true, then I wonder what those 40 million people are doing on Sunday.

Never fear, guys. I'm pretty sure there will be a ton of mosques opening up where you can volunteer.

15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Trust me folks when I say this and Mike knows what I think about religion and all that not that it has to do with anything but I guarantee you all that nearly every church in the country has a system. Wether its a stand alone pc or a couple of stand alone PCs, a peer to peer network or a LAN/WAN they have them, remember the network or stand alone system doesn't have to be in the church they can be running from the priests/vickers house.

I remember when I was about 12 when I went to a wedding service my local church had two PCs in rectory, one had a database on it containing how many members there were and which members participated in church activities and which members donated. The other one spreadsheets and wordprocessors on but I am not sure exactly what info the preadsheets had on them.

There is actually a lot more to church that just a sunday service you know.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. daniella

daniella New Member

To help grow a healthy and consistent church, effective church management software is needed. It does not matter if your church is a church plant or an established church. Church management software is specialized software that assists churches and other religious organizations in organization and automation of daily operations. Churches use the packages to reduce the cost of operations and track the growth in their congregations.

17. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

My church seems to be quite big into IT judging by this thread. They have a small team (volunteers) run the video and sound system so that all can see and hear on on plasma screens if they are seated a bit from the front. They also run the power point presentations for the Pastor and the lyrics for the assembled audience for the hymns. That is just on Sundays. Other than that there is the websites, plus numerous databases and the necessary admin work (payroll, accountancy, auditing...). Just like any normal company, except it is all voluntary.

They must be doing something right, as for 2011 they have added another service (was 2, now 3) due to over crowding.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  18. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Suffering from 40 million hangovers!!!!

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST