Has anyone used Wyse kit with RDP/TS?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Kitkatninja, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guys/Gals,

I've already asked about virtualising server, now another question...

Like the title asks, has anyone used/trialled Wyse kits, in particular the S30 or the S50, with RDP/TS without either Citrix's XenDesktop or VMWare's VDI?

What was the performance like? Did you keep it like that or did you move over to Citrix/VMWare?

Thanks for any answers...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Kitkatninja

The other piece of kit is the: HP t5145 ThinConnect, HP's thin client version.

Any views on this?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  3. Kitkatninja

OK, I have purchased 2 x S30 winterm boxes (Windows CE based) and 2 x Hanns-G HC196D 19" (Hard Screen) monitors to go with them. We should have them tomorrow, so we can start testing them with our terminal server.

-Ken

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sorry Ken, didn't see this earlier. Yes, I've used WinTerms, Neoware and HP thin clients in both ICA and 'plain' RDP environments. They're all much of a muchness to be honest, but if I'm ever kitting an office out anywhere with a cheap & cheerful solution I go for the little Compaq Deskpros. You can pick them up for about a tenner each on EBay - often as a job lot - and parts for them are very easy to get, so the fact that they're quite old shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

Of course, if you have the budget, then getting new thin clients would probably be easier, and they'd more than likely require less maintenance as the parts would be newer.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Kitkatninja

Thanks for that Zeb, for the trial I've actually bought ex-demo stock (apart from the monitor which are new), at about 1/3 off I can't complain.

I'll have to see if they (thin clients) suit our needs...

-Ken

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

When i was on palcement we used Wyse terminals, don't remember ever having an issue with them. small, silent, fast load.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Kitkatninja

Well I have to say that so far I'm impressed with the Wyse kit (the monitors didn't arrive today), will install the major bits of software that we use on our terminal server and see how they perform.

So far Office 2007 works, will have to test software like CS4, Jaguar Cars, VB6 and Visual Studio .Net, etc...

-ken

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

What's the remote desktop client version on that box wagnerk? Last time i checked RDC 6.1 wasn't being planned for WinCE only XPe(although this could have changed)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. Kitkatninja

Don't know, the TS server that I'm using is Windows Server 2003 SP2, the RDP version is 6 (according to properties). Apart from that, the Wyse boxes run quite nicely. Will do a full windows update tomorrow and tell you after that :)

-Ken

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

6.0 should be good for 2003 but keep it in mind if your planning on migrating to 2008 as this is where it counts

11. Kitkatninja

Will be upgrading the domain to 2k8, however as alot of our older apps don't work with Vista/Window 2k8, we'll be keeping with Windows 2k3 for TS for a while.

I have looked at the WinXPe based terminals, the 9450XE and/or the 9455XL in particular, due to price. May go with them when it comes to the finalising the purchase if the S30's demostrate that they (thin clients) suit our needs, just needed a couple of cheap test units :)

-Ken

12. Kitkatninja

I have upgraded the S30 unit from Windows CE 5 WFR2 to Windows CE 5 WFR3. I have also decided to use Windows 2008 TS, as Windows 2003 does't support USB redirection (eg plugging a USB stick into the thin client terminal doesn't show up with 2k3 but does with 2k8). The S30 unit does seem to work with 2k8, however further testing is necessary. A WinXPe based unit is comming tomorrow, will update on that...

-ken

13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yep we use Wyse Terminals in some of your Hosptial sites. Seem to be pretty reliable and robust.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Pen drives will work on 2003 also there is an option to map "Drives that I connect later", USB printers will work and so will some scanners(never tried a scanner) I tested this on RDC 6.0 and 6.1 on a SBS 2003

15. Kitkatninja

I guess it really depends on the thin client terminal, quite a few people have reported that they have problems with Windows CE based terminals, when connecting to Win 2008. Couldn't find the option for pen drives (drives yes, but that didn't do anything) or the "Drives I connect later" option with Win2k3.

Looks like if I go down the 2k8 route, I'll only using the newer app... Oh well...

-Ken

16. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Sorry for my last post I should have clarified a little more

Connecting to SBS 2003(allow mapping of local drives)

Client 1 Vista w/ Remote Desktop Client 6.1
    Client 2 Windows XP w/ Remote Desktop Client 6.0

Both clients had an option as per the picture

(I would still go with the XPe versions though, I have some t5530 CE6(RDC 6.0) that I will test tomorrow)

Attached Files:

17. Kitkatninja

Cool, found that in Win 2k8 :) I guess that's how I was able to use the USB stick on the thin client. If you could let me know about what you find out on your XPe based terminal, you may find different info to me (hopefully mine will arrive tomorrow).

Thanks mate

-ken

18. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Had a little dig about and it seems Microsoft are releasing a new embedded product called WES 2009(Windows Embedded Standard) that will add Support for Windows Server 2008 (RDP 6.1) so XPe looks like a no go too for 2008 TS unless Microsoft do a uturn and release XPe SP3 :blink.

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

My mistake wagnerk, WES 2009 just looks like XPe SP3, got it running in a VM to test it out.

20. Kitkatninja

Bought the Wyse 9450XE (WinXPe) and tested it out on Friday, I have to say that I didn't like it as much as the S30 with WinCE on it.

Want to test on the new boxes with WES2009 on them, but will have to wait... :(

-Ken