Has anyone heard of learning lolly?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Virgowoman2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Virgowoman2

Virgowoman2 Bit Poster

I am looking into training providers for getting into the IT industry, as I have no technical experience/qualifications. Has anyone heard of Learning Lolly? I know Oxford House in Oxford st no longer do the certifications at their centre and the website diverts interests in these certs to the above. I would grateful to hear from anyone studying with them or anyone who knows about them.

Virgowoman

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
    Certifications: none
  2. Gez0660

Gez0660 Bit Poster

HI there, i've only just heard of them myself, so any info you get i'll be reading with great interest.
    Have saw their video and it all looks polished, but i couldn't find any prices for training, which i found a bit strange.

Gerard

3. Gez0660

Gez0660 Bit Poster

HI there,

I received a phone call from learning lolly today, I personally will not be using them as they are a long distance learning provider, which for me is not what i'm looking for.
    From the speel i got from them , which to be honest was a salesperson, the pitch sounded polite, polished and what i would have expected.
    What put me off was when asked what cert's i was going for he said it would be unobtainable in the timeframe given, but in the same setence when they asked my budget the reply was 'i'm sue we can sort something out for you', this last comment sent alarm bells ringing in my ears.
    If you do decide to use them, then good luck, but like i said they ain't for me.

Gerard

4. Virgowoman2

Virgowoman2 Bit Poster

Thanks for that. So you would say they are dodgy!!! Thats strange because Oxford House have a deal with them and from what I found they were genuine.

Virgowoman

5. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

They're not dodgy, in fact, they're very good. They are dedicated in providing the highest quality distance learning possible. Only problem with Learning Lolly is that, to keep the prices down, they don't put students through certifications, they only do the training bit. This is a problem for me when advising someone on where to get trained - what's the point in studying and then not getting the certificate to prove it? Did you know that only 2 in 10 people take their exam? It's like studying for your GCSEs then not turning up to take the test! Madness!

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

With a name like learning lolly, they've got to suck! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well if they are distance learning then I suspect theres no real synergy in them trying to be a test centre unlike on site TP's.

Its better for them just to provide the info and let people find their own test centre.

School attendance and GCSE's are mandatory and totally government funded so its a little different. Also the way exams are sat and examined and regulated is quite different.

As the course is an optional part time distance learning further education course, one would expect the drop out rate to be massively higher than for a mandatory course for adolescents. Adults studying part time generally have a harder time making the time commitment. They may also de-prioritize the course after signup as it is not madatory. Part time distance learning is far harder than direct full time tuition, for social, motivational and learning reasons.

If people can't complete a further education process they themselves have embarked on and paid for, it reflects badly on both the training provider and the student. Were the candidates suitable and screeened ? Were people really trained properly ? Did they finish the course, and if not why ? Was the process explained to them ? etc.

In response to their ad's there is no failure in the UK training market, we have 50%+ graduates. What the industry does not have is skilled, experienced cheap staff, but then why should it ? If it did you wouldn't want to enter it ?

Their sales pitch is very much on the side of gilding the lilly, a successful IT career is very hard work.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No, never heard of them...

Just a question, have you tried your local colleges?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Virgowoman2

Virgowoman2 Bit Poster

I have checked out one college, A+ alone is over £500 and N+ is over £400. The time frame to complete both courses is around 18 weeks. I am not sure if the time frame with work would be suitable for me thats why I am looking at training providers. I think MCP or MCDST would be handy thrown in but they dont do these courses.
    I am sure employers would like more than just A+/N+. Not to mention again, finding work without help from say recruitment agencies.

As for Learning Lolly, I don't understand how they can provide learning when they don't assist in providing exams/exam practice and job assistance? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Virgowoman

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  10. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi Virgowoman2

I am not normally one to come to the defense of my competitors.

Exams can be arranged by yourself generally by going to www.vue.com, exam practice can be had by going to transcender or Boson.

Job assistance, if you mean help you into a Job then I am afraid that no respectable training provider is even going to go down that road with Job assistance or promises of job placements. The best that a training provider can do is help with your C.V and give you advice regarding interview techniques.

Hope this helps

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  11. Virgowoman2

Virgowoman2 Bit Poster

Thanks for your advice Jo and Ken.

Answer to your question Ken, I have checked local colleges. The courses for 2 MCP's (XP Professional and Server) last approx 15 weeks of classroom training/workshops which is a short duration for someone new it to it all. A+ and N+ are approx 12 to 15weeks. Again rather short. I am seriously considering a training provider as self study seems better for those with some experience rather than none.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd check exactly what you will get from any TP, including hours of direct classroom tuition, I expect you will get more support from a local college at a lower cost.

13. Virgowoman2

Virgowoman2 Bit Poster

I am checking out the local colleges prospectus for more info on A+. I think they say another course is required before the A+ can be taken as novice.

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I am all for "training providers", (not sales providers!) but just bare in mind, I.T is not like working as a plumber.

A plumber works hard all day and returns home - that's it.
    I.T is a constant learning path. You stare at the screen all day and then in the evenings perhaps catch up on personal work, topics you are researching, topics you are "in the middle of" in work and unsure of a resolution, topping up your skills, or perhaps studying for a certification to prove you know your topics, or help look for another position.
    Why mention this? Because it is one big learning cycle. Self study, online courses, classroom courses, forums, technical papers - we need them all.
    Sorry if I have bored you, but I have worked for a "provider" and heard of many people who believe by paying a huge amount of fees they can somehow jump a queue. Sounds good when people say, "no experience, everyone passes, job placement with good salary doesn't it?! Honestly, there is no queue to jump - it's all achieved by hard work. I am not saying this is how you think, but thought I would mention it for others who review this thread in a similar postion to yourself.

I attended a classroom course for the A+ and loved it! We built a desktop PC computer each, broke it, repaired it and covered most of the objectives (the old ones!) in the class and had work to take home and further preparation before sitting the exam.
    I also went on a 27 day boot camp. One to one training, brilliant trainer and had plenty of time to cover the topics, but still had stuff to read in the nights to pass the exams. These are two examples of paragraph two - we need all the learning methods we can get our hands on!

I'll say it one more time, but if you pay for training, make sure it's a training provider, not a sales provider!

Hope this helps, good luck with the studying.

Boyce.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. CraigH

CraigH New Member

As mentioned by another person above, I don't normally come to the aid of a company either, but I felt some of what was said above is a little tainted.

I've had dealings with LearningLolly and both the guys I spoke to were very knowledgable. I'm actually re-doing my A+ and Network+ with them up to the new A+ 2009 level. I like multimedia training - it works best for me.

They DO provide exam practice software - I think Virgowoman may have misunderstood. They gave me 'MeasureUps' for all my Comptia exams. And they do have what they call a 'job placement assistance' program too. The guy went to great lengths to explain to me that they DON'T find you a job - but they provide a bunch of tools and help. It was this that impressed me in the first place - most training providers were feeding me the line that they could get me a job (which is crap! Anyone saying this is basically lying - I mean, how can they - they don't know you from Adam!) I pretended to be new to the industry to see what they said! I've also got 24hr web-based support - which is useful for me, as I'm someone that likes to study late at night.

I'm not saying these are the only guys in the game, but I think that (credit where credit's due) these guys are actually some of the good guys. You'll also find their website has pretty much more info than any other site I've been able to find, with the exception of MS/Comptia/Cisco etc. I always tend to look at the quality of information provided first - too many of the other companies were just a 10 page website, a glossy brochure in the post and an ex-double glazing salesman.

Good luck anyway - the A+ and Network+ are without doubt the most important certs to get when you're starting. MCDST can be useful if you're in an office support situation. I'm now looking at comptia Linux+ and Server+ too by that way.

Just my tu'penny worth anyway!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA
  16. Aishytia

Aishytia New Member

Well i called them to find out about the fee of MCSA and they told me that it is 1700 pounds, i think it is not bad. Preparation for exams is your own hard work with Measure Up software, which is very good, because you can get your mistakes explained with the right answers. Well you will get the training, it is not just a dry studies, just reading books and trying to save money and prepare on your own. Nobody can prepare for MCSA on they own until unless they got good previous knowledge of IT. I was studying in James Thornton Company MCSA, they charge 8000 pounds for MCSA and MCSE, free laptop, job guarantee. Luckily i paid just a deposit, because company was closed after a year or so. Never trust these type of training providers. Lolly i think is worth to trust, because you get all training material straight way together with Measure up software, exams are on you anyways, even if you pay 8000 for your training. If you won't study hard, you won't pass anyways, who ever will book the exam for you, but there is no doubt about the training importance.
    If any one will hear about lolly anything else or got any other ideas or experience and can advice for any other MCSA training providers or other learning tips, please let me know as well, because i am thinking to go for it. Just first need to save some money.:rolleyes: