Has anyone done QOS 642-642 recently?

Discussion in 'Voice' started by ColinCamper, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

I failed this one today. :(

I read the Cisco press Imp QOS (Exam guide) rev2 book cover to cover and was getting 100% on the enclosed boson.

However the exam was very different.

It even had 2 questions on QOS propagation over BGP which wasn't even mentioned in the book! These accounted for 5% of the score!

The terminology and context of many questions was different to the text and seemed almost designed to confuse; especially with the select 3 type questions.

Any ideas of how to properly prepare for these exams - is there an easy way to identify and gather material from the CCO?

Luckily Cisco are doing the fail once take again free promotion so I can retake this for free - however I want to make sure my week spent studying is not wasted. :)
    This exam 642-642 has been around a while - I wonder if it has changed significantly?

Certifications: CCNA MCP
  2. jonmo2578

jonmo2578 New Member

Oh dear, sorry to hear that you fail the test..

Hmmm.. doesnt fill me with confidence for my test tomorrow as I have been studying from the same 2nd Edition Cisco Qos book.. This book is coming up to 3 years old... however, there doesnt seem to be any other material out there of use worth looking at..

Ive heard murmurings of BGP coming up in the exams as well.. so will make sure that I have a quick read up on that is there is no mention of it in the Cisco book.. or the Cisco official blueprint.. !!

There was also some debate about SRR queuing appearing and not WRR queue..

Best of luck with your retake... Just out of interest, this free retake exam from Cisco.. Was this a promotion you had to register for prior to the exam or did you find out afterwards.. ??

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, the Boson stuff in the Cisco Press books aren't written by the Boson staff. :( Trying to get that changed...

Best advice I can give is to study the areas where you are weak, either in the book or on Cisco's site.

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. jonmo2578

jonmo2578 New Member

Hey..

Just to say that I passed the QOS exam earlier this afternoon...

After thoughts.. Yeah, I can see what you mean about wording of the questions being slightly different.. I do like the fact that the multianswer questions specify how many answers you have to put down rather than the horrible "choose all that apply "...
    Had to read alot of them very carefully and used the process elimination for some..

Thanks for the heads up on the BGP.. did a quick (panic) bit of reading on that last night.. apart from that I would say that the blueprint is accurate and I found that the Cisco Study guide covered all the concepts required to pass the exam..

Best of luck...

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations jonmo2578...

8. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

Thanks!

Yeah!
    I had a (relatively) alcohol free week, stuck my head in Boson and the CCO and passed my QOS exam today, a week later! Phew!

I'm glad you passed yours! I don't think cisco are doing the 'Comeback' promotion in the States. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for my retake.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I knew TOS/DSCP back to front and there were no questions at all on binary AF or IP-Prec - Doh!

Ah! Well! Onwards and upwards! I'm off to do CVOICE 642-432!

9. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

BTY - I wouldn't want to put anyone off buying the Cisco Press book.

(Apart from the fact it's the only game in town) It is well written, I found very few mistakes and it is a very good resource for this exam.

Unlike many course texts it is also a very good reference resource and I imagine I will use it a lot in the future.

Just make sure you swat up on QPPB, CAR and CEF/FIB before the test and use a recent exam sim (like boson) and don't rely on the one with the book!

10. BosonMichael

Thank you for the testimonial, Colin. :)

11. jonmo2578

jonmo2578 New Member

Hey, well done to you too.. I applied the same tactics and then made up for the lack of alcohol in the system this last week.. Well earned holiday..

I second your comments regarding the Cisco books.. I found it very useful, plus they do provide the Cisco answer to questions....

Off to do the CVoice as well now.. Would prefer to do the newer exam but there is not enough material out at present..

12. ColinCamper

ColinCamper Bit Poster

13. gopivrao

gopivrao New Member

Hey tats really nice to hear that you have passed QoS!!

I am currently preparing for the same and very much need of your help.

If possible please share the materials that you have used to clean up 642-642 also dumps

Hopefully waiting !!

Rgds
    Gopi

Certifications: ITIL, CCNA, Six Sigma Green Belt
    WIP: CCIP
  14. BosonMichael

We don't allow braindumps here, nor do we allow sharing of copyrighted materials. If it's worth using, it's worth buying.

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Gopi, your request for braindump resources is unacceptable here at CertForums. I've explained why in my PM to you that accompanies the infraction I gave. Only legit resources are promoted here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+