Has any one passed the N+ recently? (Study Material)

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Matt_26uk, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I've been recommended Network+ Study Guide by David Groth by few people on here (thanks for your advice) is this a good choice?

Just wanted to ask has any one passed recently and what book did you use? I want a book that’s going to cover every thing in the exam and have some good practice tests.

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA 2003, CompTIA A+, N+
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  2. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

+ Exam Cram 2 Books

Worked great for me, I'm selling them on ebay if your looking for them on the cheap.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I've just started out myself on Network+ well, i've purchased both the Groth book and the Meyers book. I've only read about 100 pages of the Meyers book so far, and find it a good read and easy to understand. I'd recommend that if you feel you need another resource. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply lads, I'm ok for now Spilly thanks though.

Both N+ books David Groth and Mike Meyers (3rd edition) are not on the CompTIA website does that matter? they do have the CompTIA Authorized Quality Curriculum (CAQC) symbol.

Also bit stuck on which one out of the two to get.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I find the Mike Meyers book for Network+ is great, loads of information. However unfortunately at the time when I took my cert, I didnt have that book. The book that I used was the ExamCram 2 series. After passing the Network+ I got the Mike Meyers book for reference and I have to admit its pretty good.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Matt - I'm currently using both books and I find that they approach things differently which helps me pick things up. For example, the Mike Meyers book seemed a little light on the OSI model compared to the Groth book, which had a lot more information, only presented in a very "dry" fasion. With Groth I sometimes have to read a paragraph a few times before I understand what he is trying to say.

I would say, if you can afford it, get both. I don't beleive that one book on its own is enough to pass the exam, although there may be some members that did exactly that and will disagree with me :oops: - I've yet to take the exam (although I'm getting close).

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used both books for the N+ exam. They complemented each other nicely I found.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

I started using the Groth book but ended up getting the Meyers one as well.. up to now Im finding Mike Meyers N+ book an easyer read.
    when Im finished with the meyers N+ book Im gonna dive into groth again

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  9. Matt_26uk

Matt_26uk Nibble Poster

I've got David Groths book (4th edition) as I'm used to that style of writing (I had sybex book for th A+). For me I've been in IT for a while so kinda of know what im reading (although you never stop learning) and just need a book thats going to help me out with the exam. It seems a bit thin, half the size of the A+ and the back page says 519 page is that right?

If I get thought this then I will buy Meyers books. Everyone says his books are good for people just starting out as there are very user friendly to read.

10. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

thats probally about right meyers N+ book is thicker but it contains a lot more padding and explanations. (759) in Meyers but that also includes index,glossary,the main chapters end around 668

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA