Has any one got there first job in Web design?

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by nellyp123, Mar 25, 2007.

1. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

I have just passed my CIW foundations exam and woundered if any of you lot have done the same and got there first web design job?

Dont get me wrong, i know its not gonna be easy getting that entry level job( junior), and certifications are not always guarantees, but i was hoping someone might give me some hope. :cry:

Certifications: CIW Professional
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't work in web design but the gist i get is that you need a very good portfolio if you are to stand a chance.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Thanks...that is what i will do.:biggrin

Certifications: CIW Professional
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Practice is important, and as Bluerinse said - put a portfolio together. Just passing an exam won't cut it.

When I started out, I checked out local businesses to see who didn't have a website - or more importantly, who had a bad or our of date one. Also looked at clubs, schools and charities.

I did quite a lot of unpaid work, and even lost money on some by paying for domain names etc - but it got me a good starting portfolio.

Then you can advertise a bit and the world's your lobster.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD