Has anoyone else suddenly had a new browser called Chromium randomly installed on their PCs?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Its obviously associated with Google chrome, but why this has randomly appeared on my desktop has got me curious as I haven't personally downloaded it, also its very annoying as I can close it down all I want it will pop up as soon as I start my computer with whatever I was looking at in the regular chrome browser displayed within this browser...

2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Sorry mate, never heard of it. What does Google say about it?

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

See if there is anything in event viewer to show the installation date?

But Im sure a few weeks back I heard that this was some form of spyware, I cant remember from where but if I were you and you didnt willingly install it Id be taking it off the computer

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

Google created Chromium and it is mostly used in Linux machines. Its similar to Google Chrome but i think made easier to install for Linux OS

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

From a quick google search I get conflicting things, I've removed it now (wasn't easy to get rid of) some people are calling it malware

6. KanduIT-Scott

KanduIT-Scott New Member

I think it is a cut down version of Chrome, I've only ever seen it on Linux and hadn't thought of it as spyware before. This article might help ( I can't post links yet so will add spaces) ->howtogeek. com/202825/what%E2%80%99s-the-difference-between-chromium-and-chrome/

It seems that Google used it as the foundation for Chrome. With it being open source I suppose it is possible that someone developed some malware based on the initial code ? I'm only guessing though