Harvard

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

I am currently working through the new Network+ (006) and its going OK.
    My partner came across this yesterday and asked me if I would be interested.

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x#!

It actually looks quite interesting to be honest, just wondered if anyone had some thoughts?

Cheers

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'm on my 6th edx class right now, mostly doing biology and big data courses. Some of them are excellent, best courses I've ever taken.

Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

Wow, thanks for the prompt response @dmarsh
    Have you found that they are easy to follow? Helped within a work enviroment?

4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Pretty sure that's the course my friend did two years ago. He thought it was great but he did struggle a bit with the programming side at the end of course. Sure you need to put some time and effort into it.

5. Jaron78

Thank you Nyx.

Did your friend say he found it interesting and worthwhile?

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've not used any biology at work. I found the molecular biology hard.
    Some courses are more polished than others, generally due to first presentation.
    Some required 20+ hours per week due to lot guesswork and tough assignments.
    The best courses tend to come from the top universities, Harvard, MIT, etc but with free auditing there is no reason not to check anything out.
    The tuition is first class, but some topics are challenging, so yes they are easy to follow, but do not expect to learn Quantum Mechanics in an afternoon.

I did do some bioinformatics with coursera that helped me polish up my Java 8.
    I also did some Scala, R and Python. However I'm not really using any of these in my day job.

Not used the stats, machine learning, or Big Data at work yet, early days though.

8 edx classes completed, 11 coursera courses completed.

I'd give it a go if I were you, nothing to lose, its free to audit the course.
    You can complete the whole course under audit.
    If you want a 'Verified Certificate' after two weeks you can 'upgrade' to verified track for $90.

So its a bit like certs, but you get quality training thrown in largely for free, if you want a certificate to show your boss you can pay an extra $50-$100, which is like paying for a cert exam basically.
    Everything is online, so you get an online transcript anyway, so this is entirely optional, you can just point people at your transcript.

Taking that class at Harvard would cost you £1000+.

I've been plugging edx and coursera here for some time.

I recommend MITx: 7.00x Introduction to Biology - The Secret of Life, to everybody, it really is that good!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Yeah, it filled some gaps he had from Uni. Go for it unless you struggle for time or have no interest in programming and algorithms etc. It definitely is a better course a lot of Uni's offer, and it is free. I wish EDX or Coursera were around when I had time to kill.

8. Jaron78

Cool, thank you mate.
    Have an SCCM Course lined up next week so will have to take a look week after :)