Hardware specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 15, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been asked to build a system for a customer but it is up to me to choose the specs.

The customer has said that he wan't the hard drive accessing to be as fast I can get it but he only needs upto 500GB. My question is do I go for a couple of 250GB drives and set it up in raid, 1 500GB drive or a few solid state drives?

The rest of the setup is completed

Asus P6T Intel X58
    Corsair XMS3 12GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9
    Intel Core i7 920

the customers budget after all of the other components still has £300 to spare for the drives(s)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What does the customer want the PC for ? Will they be doing mostly reads or writes ? Will they be doing random accesses or sequential ?

Maybe throw in a Vertex SSD and a cheap 1TB HD like Western Digital Green or Samsung Spinpoint F1.

Or get one of these :- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-077-SA&tool=3

Or read this :- http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=2

3. greenbrucelee

THe customer is going to use it for gaming and have a virtual setup on it but I am not sure which virtualization software he is going to be using.

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

A raid 0 setup will get you some 'pretty' benchmark scores, but won't make much difference to real world speeds unless you have a decent raid controller. Most onboard controllers ain't that hot though really.

The latest Intel SSD's are meant to be very fast, but you will end up paying a lot. One of these ( http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=459 ) WD Velociraptor 300GB + A Samsung F1 1TB Spinpoint would be probably the most cost effective high speed solution.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. greenbrucelee

Cheers I was looking at one of those velociraptors. I might just do it that way as they are quite quick.

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Actually RAID0 performance of the Intel ICH10R is supposed to be quite good. More than good enough for a couple of cheap SSD's or Velociraptors in RAID0.

However a single Vertex SSD will probably be better than most cheaper two SSD Raid0 solutions for general use.

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster