Hardware recommendation for a test setup

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by thetokyoproject, Feb 26, 2012.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

I'm thinking of getting a high end PC such as a machine with an I5 or above processor and around 6 to 8 Gb of memory for our department as a small test environment.

I'll probably get quotes for some vmware licences.

Would it be possible to run 3 virtual servers and around about 4 virtual PCs on this hardware set up or would I need a more expensive powerful harware server to run this.

I've not had much experience with virtual exvironments so appreciate the advice from those with experience.

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: 271
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The power of virtualisation and yes you should be able to run the above but might be a tad slow as you need a minimum of 8GB RAM. To run the above a little bit more comfortably get a i7 CPU and if budget is not a constrain system supports a max of 16GB RAM.

Lastly, bear in mind you would still need to be mindful when configuring your VM's to take the above into account as in terms of performance. All the best and lets know what you decide and your progress.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I'd suggest more than 8GB of ram if you need to run 7 VM's at the same time. Obvious bottleneck is disk IO, use raid. Imagine 7 systems reading/writing, having a page file on the same disk - it can't work well. if budget allows get a ssd for core VM's, or all.

4. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

thanks so much to you and nyx.

i will take these into consideration and see if i can get at least 8 Gb ram and a fast disk.

Certifications: 271