Hardware for CCNA Lab

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by BrizoH, Feb 2, 2009.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I have acquired (unused work equipment) 2 x Cisco 1721 routers, both with 1 port VWICs, and a very old Catalyst 2900 Switch (WS-C2908-XL 8 Port 10/100)

Would this be enough for some basic hands on labs while working towards CCNA?

Thanks

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The catalyst 2900 switch would definately, however not too sure of the 17xx series router in this day and age. To get a feel for what you'd be needing precisely have a look at Ebay CCNA lab equipment.

Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

the switch actually would be quite far from the syntax you will see on the exam, you should be aiming for atleast a 2950 - 1 or 2 of those - then the 2924XL is one down from the 2950 - but very different IOS layout. I have one of each and will be getting one more switch - its suggested you get three in total - so get atleast one 2950 IMO.

As for routers you need to look for 3 main things from your router:

1. It should support 802.1q trunking - otherwise known as VLAN trunking. This is now supported on IOS 12.2 and above for normal ethernet so it doesnt have to be Fast Ethernet ports.
    2. Should have enough RAM to be able to run Security Device Manager - well atleast one router should!
    3. Should have space for WIC cards.

Now with all this in mind you want to look at the 2600 series, 2600XM series and 1721 routers.

Personally i have two 1721 with 2x WIC-1t cards, a 2611 and a 2620 with 2x WIC-1t cards.

This gives me 4 routers and 3 switches to play with! Ebay is full of bargins - you got to be patient! I just bought 2 WIC-1t cards for 26 quid - usually thats the price you pay for one! My 2950G cost me 52 quid! All together i have spent 200 quid with delivery - i made sure all my routers can with atleast one WIC-1t card.

Just a few pointers there hope it helps you! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Excellent, thanks Zimbo

So, on a budget, if I can buy an additional 2 x WIC-1t cards for the 1721 routers and possibly get hold of an extra switch (2950) do you think that would do?

I need to check how much RAM is in the routers, do you know whats required to run SDM?

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

2 routers and 2 switches would be good - maybe a little short for a few exercises in the book.

As for the RAM requirements it varies from router to router i think for the 1721 you need 64mb DRAM and 16MB Flash.

Check this linky: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics