Hardware based security Key

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by punkboy101, Oct 5, 2004.

1. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi All

Just wondering if anybody could help me. I have a customer who I need to speak to this afternoon with regards to a hardware based security key. Now, I don't know too much about them, and I have only actually seen it once. A customer I did a job for had a connector that sat between the printer port on his machine, and the printer cable (it looked like a gender changer at a glance).

All I know is that he needed to have the connector between the cable and PC in order to be able to print. There was also a digital certificate sat on his machine, and one would not work without the other (obviously lol). Now, I did this job quite a while ago, and my memory ain't workin to good today, so I may be wrong on some of the detail's. If I'm talking out my a$$, can someone please ridicule me!

I'm goin to do a google search now, but thougth I'd post here too to see what you lot came up with. Any info/links would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

we call them dongles mate

I had one on my machine (again in the parallel port, but not to print)

I needed this and the certificate to access our Thales voice recorder
    was for both security and liscencing

not much more too it
    if the dongles installed, and you have the certificate, you can access the appropriate information/software/hardware

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Thanks mate, perfect! type dongle's into the ole' googler, and got a wealth of info.:D

Much more than I got when I tried Hardware Security Key!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada