Happy new year, Everyone, im new to forum

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by lukey2, Jan 4, 2011.

1. lukey2

lukey2 New Member

I have just registered, so thought I would introduce myself and say hi.

My name is Luke, I am from Desborough, Northamptonshire. 38 years old, with Wife, House, child, two old cars, no money at the end of each month or savings, needs to change career, looking into the idea of I.T.

Currently working in a sales environment in Kettering, Producing sales lit, adverts, admin for the company website, email system. customer support, technical sales, being utilised as an extra 3d cad design engineer (my old profession) while on the cheap wages of an admin clerk.

Looking to get a Microsoft qualification in setting up, configuring and administering a small business server, as I would prefer this type of work and the starter level wages has to be the same or better than what I am currently on.

I dont have thousands and thousands of pounds to spend on fast track courses in Goa or Delhi, so the only way I think am going to get this done is one mcp module at a time. I am going to browse the websites and forums to see what exams I must take and in what order, anyone have any tips? also where is the nearest test center for Microsoft in Northamptonshire or Leicestershire.

All the best,

Regards Luke

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

"It wasnt broke until I fixed it!!"

2. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Hi Luke, a very Happy New Year to you and welcome to the boards!

It would seem your ultimate goal is to achieve the MCSA (Systems Administrator) this LINK will tell you all you need to know about achieving it and what exams you'll need to study for.

This can be done in a number of ways but as you say, your funds are limited, so I would recommend self studying, google the exam number from the link above and add 'Microsoft press book', obviously there are alternatives to cross reference the material and I'd recommend at least two books on the subject.

CBTNuggets also offer video tuition (for a price) but these are invaluable and help you understand the subject matter further, but these are by no means a necessity. (See www.cbtnuggets.com)

First I would advise taking helpdesk qualifications such as A+ and N+, or if you have time MCDST (which expires in June this year, but if you pass you can still use it as an elective) and work your way up from there.

I think getting the qualifications will be easier than actually gaining the experience, just be careful not to over qualify yourself without the experience, if at all possible volunteer for weekend helpdesks (they do exist) just to build up your CV.

I've been in IT support related jobs for 4 years now and I'm only just taking my MCDST 2nd exam on Friday, you qualify with your relevant experience in my opinion and without it the certifications will be worthless no matter how many you get.

For the nearest exam centres for your area visit www.prometric.com

Hope this helps and good luck!

Phil

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I can only echo what Phil has said above, great post.

Also, welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Exactly. An employer would look at your work experience. Certs come in handy, ofcourse, to prove what you are capable of doing.

Start with the relevant MCP exam. U can get second-hand books from users even on this forum (cheap price). U have worked as an admin for a company's website and email system, so u would probably be looking for MCSA/MCSE in the future (If they are not retired uptil that time)

So pick an exam that also fits as an elective in these two certs.

A+ and N+ OR Security+ is an elective for both.
    MCDST is an elective for MCSA
    MCSA is an elective for MCSE

Start off with the MS press books, read and practice the objectives throughly. See some good video training series as pointed out by Phil182. Book and sit for the exam.

Best of luck and Welcome to certforums!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!