Hanging at Mobo screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jubei_Jedi, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

Hi all,

have been having a look through the threads to get an answer to my problem and have seen lots of good information but am having a slightly different problem with my pc.
    When i first boot it goes through some checks and then hangs at the motherboards logo.
    I have unplugged the HDD and plugged in another as this was the only way for me to get into the bios and it does not show the original HDD that i was trying to boot in there and cannot detect it even though i have set it as slave drive.
    I take it the drive is dead and there is nothing i can do? Just wanted to check with some people on here,

Cheers :)

WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you unplug a hard drive, it won't show up in BIOS. BIOS autodetects what drives you've got. It's not like the old days where we had to manually enter the hard drive specifications.

Why don't you connect the drive as a slave on a working computer and see if you can see any files? If not, the drive is likely dead.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

I unplugged the one that was not working but then replugged it in as a slave with power and it is not showing in the bios, only the one that i know is working shows up.
    Its funny because when the HDD is plugged in as master and i have the one i know that works plugged in as a slave it hangs at the mobo screen, but the other way around it works fine but not detected by the bios.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds like a dead drive.

Don't forget that the whole master/slave thing is because the controller is on the drive, and controls the slave as well. So your experience with swapping the drives about is to be expected.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Jubei_Jedi

Jubei_Jedi Bit Poster

ok so after posting on here yesterday i went home for a little bit more of a look, like in the bios and some of the settings, put the HDD on that works and that too is now doing the same as the other so i am thinking that maybe it has got to do with something else?

Also even with no HDD plugged in it will not let me get into the bios anymore and goes straight to a screen saying about PXE or something and try's loading from DHCP?

Man I am confused... thought this was a good idea to get into this but already i am feeling like such a N00b :oops:
    cos i used to actually build my own computers about 6 years ago but now it all seems so foreign..

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - tell the motherboard to boot from disk rather than anything else?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Try resetting the CMOS. Back to original setting's. If its an IDE drive which i presume it is. Try using a SATA if you have any Ports/HDD's spare. Could be an issue with the IDE Controller.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST