Had breakfast with Steve Ballmer today...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by BosonMichael, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...which sounds much more important than it really was. In truth, I ate breakfast with 800 others with the Nashville Technology Council before listening to Steve Ballmer talk for 40 minutes. Saw a few videos and heard about new stuff from Microsoft... Project Natal for XBox 360, Office 2010, Bing, etc.

We joked around about kidnapping his limo driver and replacing him with me so that I could let Ballmer know what we think about Microsoft certification, particularly with regards to braindumps.

So... if you could kidnap Steve Ballmer's limo driver and give Ballmer a piece of your mind... regarding anything... what would you tell him?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Anything? Umm... OK, re MS I'd be looking for him to see about reducing the price of the OSes and Office for regular people. He does it for students, so why not for me? :x

Oh and I am an MCP but can I get any MCP goodies from the MCP shop without having to pay way over the odds to get it to the UK? Nooo..... :dry

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd ask him how he gets his head so shiny ! :D

...and does he reget his 'developers, developers, developers !!!' speech.

4. BosonMichael

Dude... when he said "developers" (just once) in the meeting, in my head, I heard, "developers, developers, developers, developers..." hah!!!! :biggrin

He also used the term "grok", not once, but twice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. BosonMichael

Have you not seen Microsoft Home and Student 2007? It's very nicely priced, especially when compared to Office Professional... and best of all, you can legally install it on THREE computers.

6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Also Micheal bit offtopic but I've noticed that on here in the right column, second line down there's a space missing between 'and' and 'employees'.

Thought, I'll let you know :biggrin

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Not sure how much it would help giving a limo driver a piece of your mind...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. BosonMichael

lol! touche! Edited. :biggrin

Hey, maybe he's been driving over your lawn or something... hah!

9. BosonMichael

lol! Thanks for that... I also caught a missing period and advised that they move "brain dumps" together to be "braindumps". Will tell the marketing gurus ASAP!

10. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Lol! ASAP is really ASAP. I can see it's done :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  11. GiddyG

Actually, it would be great save for the fact that it doesn't have Outlook or (for me) Access. That said, I do have Office 2007 Professional for myself. I will need to check if I can put that on more than one machine; however, I have a feeling it'll be max 2 but only if I use one at a time.

12. BosonMichael

I had just talked with them about the other changes, so they were watching for more. Plus, one of our language editors was looking it over at the same time. ;)

13. BosonMichael

No, unfortunately, it doesn't. But it looks like Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 WILL have Outlook (sorry, no Access). Not sure if it'll be as cheap as H&S '07 or if it will allow 3 simultaneous installs.

Last I checked, Office 2007 Professional could be put on only one machine. I did that research when considering whether to buy Home & Student.

14. BosonMichael

Anyone else? What would you tell him? :)

15. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

what were you thinking in that original windows tv advert, you sounded like a second hand car dealer

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Does he have any preferences as to which chairs he prefers to throw and what kind of grip he uses.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd ask him for the addresses of all the advertising execs and marketing people who thought those "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea" adverts were a good idea.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  18. GiddyG

It could do the bizz for wife and son if it does the 3 user... I'd either need the third licence and Access 2010 licence or the Pro version. If so, good stuff. :D Cheers.

That's a pain... but thanks for the info.

19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That's a tough one.

I'd put on a cockney accent and say something like 'I was wondering if that Windows 7 was any good, so I Googled it...'

Or possibly just shake my head sadly ond say 'Vista, eh?' and then suck air in through my front teeth loudly.

Either way, I'd pull over first.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Ask him where the nearest hotspot is you want to use your Macbook

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots